News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Making a Custom into a driver

Started by terry_208, 2017-06-22 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

This is was my project at 53 weeks into it.
Terry

terry_208

I am learning to post pictures and hopefully will get this correct.
Terry

terry_208

Another.  I'm trying to reduce size to get more than one picture to post at a time.  Sorry for the mess ups!
Terry

terry_208

This was taken about 1/2 second before the rear friction "hold" on the upright dropped the car.  Can you say heart attack?  When I realized I was fine, I became worried about the quarter panel hitting the ground or the leg of my rotisserie.  All was good as the upright bottomed out before the body contacting either.
Terry

lalessi1

Looks like you're off to a good start! What are your drivetrain plans? I wish I had the space to do an off frame on mine. I am looking forward to following your build.
Lynn

billd5string

That has got to be great having a rotisserie. That's going to be a nice ride!
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

terry_208

Drivetrain plans are for a 312, 3 spd/od.  This vehicle originally had a 6 cyl w/od and a 389/1 rear gear, which I plan to use.  I can't rotate the body in my garage, it's too full.  Almost 1/2 of the 2 car garage is filled with parts from the teardown.

My rotisserie is homemade.  I'm an extremely slow worker anymore.  I spent about 6 weeks designing and building it. I didn't realize how nice the rotisserie would make working on the underside.  I'm able to see and fix things that I'm certain would've been overlooked while laying on my back under the car. 
Terry

terry_208

This photo was taken the morning I returned with the car which I believe was about 90-95% complete.  I "thought" a quick motor change, front seat would put this on the road while I completed the small things I could see wrong.  Was I ever in for a surprise!
Terry

RICH MUISE

Nice start...brings back memories.
Your pic size is fine for posting 4 pictures in one post. As long as the total isn't over 4k, you can post up to 4. Under where you are clicking the brouse button, you'll see a (more attachments) in blue, click on that up to the 4 and it'll open additional lines with the brouse button for each.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

I can post the heck out of photos one at a time.  I keep getting a notice that my file is too large to post and that 4K is the largest I can post.

Here is another single picture the day after I purchased my car.  As you can see all of the day after purchase is with the sedan on the trailer. 
Terry

terry_208

I waited for a year to begin this post because I know how slowly these things can go, even slower the way I work.
Terry

Ecode70D

Terry
     I like your choice of engine and transmission.

terry_208

ECode,

I also like the idea of a y block with the o/d.  I'm not too sure on the 389 rear end.  It may be too low for my comfort but can be changed later if it is indeed too low.

The car hasn't been licensed and driven since 66.  I had to remove 3 winter coats and a pair of nylon bibs from the interior.   So as to not handle the items by hand, I was using my garden rake to remove them.  Much to my surprise when I bumped the original rubber mat, I punched a hole completely through the floor. 

When I purchased it, there was only one small hole where the gas pedal bolts to it.  Now after the 8 hour return trip, I found that the entire floors needed to be replaced.  Not a big deal, more work than I thought, but still not too big of a deal or so I thought. 

A couple shots of the floors.

Terry

Marc

Looks like a good project. Remember, there's no prize for getting it done quickly. 

Jeff Norwell

Awesome project and great car!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com