News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Making a Custom into a driver

Started by terry_208, 2017-06-22 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

Thanks for all the comments and the words of encouragement. 

The other day my wife asked me if I would have purchased this particular car if I had known about all the rust problems.  I honestly didn't want to do a frame off.  Although I like having a project, this is a lot of work.  Like the saying, "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time."  That's the same way I'm attempting to tackle this. 

As I was under the car to pull the motor, I saw lots of surface rust on the frame, the frame horn support on one side was missing and the other one was ripped loose and torn.  The front cross member was mangled and the welds had been broken. 

At the rear, tree remains were between the right quarter and the bumper and of course, more frame rust. 

This is how I became involved in a frame off.

A couple more photos.
Terry

terry_208

After a couple hours work and 3 family members help, the front clip was freed from the rest of the car.  This would allowed me to  straighten the bent and twisted front cross member.  I know things didn't happen unless there are pictures, but I still failed to take pictures of the cross member.
Terry

terry_208

After the decision to do the body off things went quickly!
Terry

terry_208

Here's a couple photos of the frame after it's liberation from under the body!  Visible in the last pic you may be able to see the frame horn supports or lack there of.  Not a good picture of the front cross member but part of the damage is barely visible.
Terry

djfordmanjack

Terry, what you have is only normal in 57 Fords. They are beautiful, quick and the thing we all fell in love with here, but they do rust and they do get twisted. That's a fact. (ask me how I know that...) One bite at a time sounds like you have the right attitude! That's a quite a chunk of car and lots of parts you are handling. Don't give up, its all worth it! Cool body style and great engine choice. It will be quick with a 3.89 !

gasman826

At least the frame horn's function is to hold the bumper and possible an aftermarket sway bar.  As long as the bumper hangs level, you're good to go.  The frame specs are in the factory manual so you can take a few measurements to confirm a true frame to start with.

terry_208

The fame horns were straight.  The reason the supports were ripped and twisted is that someone put a chain hook into the access hole for the a-arm bushing pin.  I have seen it before.  It's a very convenient place to hook onto.  One good jerk and the support is toast/gone.
Terry

gasman826

Let me try again!  If I'm on the right track this time, those braces are very flimsy (1st picture).  I removed them completely on one of my frames for radiator clearance (2nd picture).

terry_208

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-06-24 08:14
Let me try again!  If I'm on the right track this time, those braces are very flimsy (1st picture).  I removed them completely on one of my frames for radiator clearance (2nd picture).

I understand and agree.  I wanted the appearance of supports so I found a '59 in an old local wrecking yard and installed them onto the '57 frame. Of course the supports are different than the 57 supports but very few will even know they aren't original. 
Terry

terry_208

Does anyone know how far back the Rear floor pan from EMS extends rearward?  Does it stop short of the 4 floor support brace?  I ask because I have the brace removed and want to replace it as soon as I can, without waiting for the new floor pan.
Terry

Ecode70D

Terry
     I sent a message to James.  Jay

terry_208

I got the answer to how far the rear floor pan extends rearward.  The EMS panel stops just short, 1/2" to 1" INFRONT of the forth floor brace. 

The EMS panels are a great match.  No hammer forming or trimming of the floor pans and inner/outer rocker panels.   I am having a little trouble with the toe boards but I suspect that is trouble I caused.  I have no problem in recommending the panels to the members. 

Terry

Ecode70D

Terry
     I'm happy to see that you are back with us.
Jay

terry_208

I'm glad to be back.  I can't change my temp password as the headings and notes are in Albanian, I believe.  That will be taken care of in good time.
Terry

Ecode70D

Terry
    Get in touch with James again and have him fix that.   I had to change mine and the same thing happened.   He fixed it real quick.
Jay