instrument cluster assembly...tips? and the joy of answering your own question.

Started by Marc, 2017-06-23 13:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Up to my elbows putting the instrument cluster back together. Starting to wonder about those little spring clips that hold the speedometer and odometer bezels in place. They just look like they're gonna be a big fat headache.
Has anyone come up with an alternate method of installing those bezels without the clips? Or, if anyone has some tips on how to work these things into place that would be helpful.

Marc

It's true, sometimes it's best to sit back with a beer and think about what you're trying to do.
I realized I was trying to install the clips with the metal backing plates for the bezels in place. Getting those out of the way made life a whole lot easier. 10 minutes later I had it all together.

Jeff Norwell

The best way Marc!..... those little clips are a pain.... Looks like you got it handled... but they can be fragile...I have snapped a few.
I sit back and think how many old Ford men would but thousands of these together daily when new.. or the guy who designed them!
Looks Great

Jeff

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Marc

Thanks Jeff. I was thinking the same thing. Back in the day there was some poor guy snapping these things into place all day.

terry_208

I always try to sit back and study a problem before jumping into it.  If I don't, I usually take a longer path to completion.
Terry

Jeff Norwell

I was looking at your dash pic Marc.and had a chuckle.. you had the same scotch tape I have to re-tape the coloured bezel sense back in....I often wondered what tape was used in 55,56,57 to keep them in place for 60 years!
hahaha

hiball3985

I don't know if it's proper but I used the tape for packing, like you use for taping boxes closed for shipping, maybe it's called shipping tape? It seems to have more adhesion/stronger then scotch tape. Four years so far and no problems..  Just a thought.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

That would be ideal Jim... but in my case..too late!...I refuse to dig back into that again! hahaha

hiball3985

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2017-06-30 08:45
That would be ideal Jim... but in my case..too late!...I refuse to dig back into that again! hahaha
I understand that. My paint didn't come out the way I wanted and I need to do it again, I've been putting it off for a couple of years now  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Marc

yeah I pretty much just used whatever was handy. The way I look at it the tape only has to function at 100% until it's all back together. Hoping the little cardboard tubes should provide a little extra hold.