News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

edelbrock carb on a 312

Started by mtwilsonboy, 2017-06-25 07:00

Previous topic - Next topic

mtwilsonboy

I know some of you have changed from the original carb to a knew carb. I was thinking of putting a new edelbrock carb on my 312 which was bored 60 over and a higher lift cam. The motor is in my 1957 skyliner Which one would be best for my motor and would I have any trouble fitting it? Im thinking of trouble with throtel linkage. My original carb is now working right and I don't want to throw any more money into it.

Ecode70D

IMHO from experience, the Edelbrock carb works nicely on the Y block.   You may have to do some playing around with the  original air cleaner to make it fit.   

djfordmanjack

Jay, aren't there different carb patterns on early 4v/later 57 4v intakes?
to the best of my knowledge, only the later intakes will take a 'modern' pattern Holley/Edelbrock. Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-07-02 17:43
Jay, aren't there different carb patterns on early 4v/later 57 4v intakes?
to the best of my knowledge, only the later intakes will take a 'modern' pattern Holley/Edelbrock. Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct, the early ones have the small pattern and also smaller ports I think. Also the E code dual four manifolds use the small pattern.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-07-02 18:04
You are correct, the early ones have the small pattern and also smaller ports I think. Also the E code dual four manifolds use the small pattern.

X2 what Jim just stated. 
    The 1957  four barrel has the large (spread bore) except the dual 4 bbl which had the small 4 bbl bolt pattern.   
     The bolt pattern on mtwilsonboy's engine would have to be the wide bolt pattern for the Edelbrock to bolt onto it.     

SkylinerRon

If you have an original Holley or Autolite now a new Holley would be the easiest.
390-550 cfm will be best as the stock carb is 410 cfm. Skyliners are heavy and it is easy to over carb it.
To use an Edlebrock requires a number of changes. Not worth the grief.
Goodluck,
Ron.

hiball3985

Quote from: mtwilsonboy on 2017-06-25 07:00
I know some of you have changed from the original carb to a knew carb. I was thinking of putting a new edelbrock carb on my 312 which was bored 60 over and a higher lift cam. The motor is in my 1957 skyliner Which one would be best for my motor and would I have any trouble fitting it? Im thinking of trouble with throtel linkage. My original carb is now working right and I don't want to throw any more money into it.
If your original carb is working right as you state, why change it? I would also stick with the Holley if you do. For me they are simpler to tune and rebuild compared the the Edlebrock, linkage etc should be easier too.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

Many 312 D code automatics used originally a Carter AFB which is essentially an Edelbrock, they bought the rights from Carter.  I don't know the CFM.  Oddly they have a built in dashpot.  Work fine.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

junior58

My 312 has the Carter AFB and I can't wait to get rid of it. I'm in the process of cleaning up and rebuilding an Autolite 4100 to fit to it - much simpler carb than the Carter or Edelbrock.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

alvin stadel

I have 3 312's that I run Holly street avengers on, as of now not a problem, and they get a lot of miles every year.