News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

F codes

Started by hemidave, 2017-07-03 20:10

Previous topic - Next topic

hemidave

Are there any "F" code Sunliners or 300s out there for sale?
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

Ray

TARTC in Detroit sifted through all the Detroit gate release invoice copies for 1957. They kept all t-bird records and all the E and F passenger cars records. They missed a few in the process but pretty much got everything. All "F" data plated cars and Thunderbirds were manufactured in Detroit. The "D-F"s were built in 4 different plants. Although I can't verify officially, the word I got from my t-bird sources said that only 6 "F" convertibles were manufactured however 25 "D-F"s were distributed to dealers that supported racing. To the best of my knowledge none of them have surfaced. One was listed in the 57 ford.com list but appeared to be to early to be legitimate. The earliest manufacture date I know of for an "F" t-bird is Don Antilla's on July 10th. Passenger cars should follow the same pattern. All "F" passenger cars and t-birds should be late enough to have the late small data plate. Good luck and please let us know if you find one.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Ray

Also, apparently quite a few 300's were manufactured as well as a number of retractables, the rarest would seem to be the one ranchero although two are out there. Both of them belonged to a friend of mine, Bruce Johnson at one point. Bruce has passed and the cars have all moved on and I have lost track of them.
Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

RICH MUISE

On the Sunliner check with Jerry's Classic cars in Springdale Ark.    seems he occasionally comes up with a d or f code to restore. He's got a link on our suppliers list
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

thomasso

Has anyone come up with the number of E Code Sunliners made?
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ray

I know about one, 'cause I'm lookin at it. I think it will be very hard to track as they were built in virtually every plant. My current one was Dallas, the retractable I used to own was Kansas City, I've seen them from Detroit, Louisville, Richmond, Mahwah to name a few.
Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Ray

Here's an interesting update. Apparently, Jack Fitzgerald In Saint Louis has found and purchased one of the 25 Phase One convertibles that was sent to a dealer in North Carolina. That would be significant in expanding the knowledge base on Phase One cars.
Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

hemidave

I would love to see some pics and info on that car, and talk to him.
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

Ray

Sorry, my bad. Jack Anderson in Saint Louis. He apparently has a lot of interest in 57's. T-birds as well.
Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Ray

further update on the D-F convertible. Apparently Mr. Anderson purchased a D-F  system (fairly complete) from Dennis Carpenter some years back. Recently he asked Dennis where the parts came from and tracked the owner down from that information. The car apparently comes with a lot of documentation.
Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

hemidave

I think you really need documentation with a D/F code. If it wasn't built in Detroit, I don't think you would have access to any factory invoice. I wonder if any other Phase 1 convertibles are out there without their original supercharger and just have the carb, or are missing the engine entirely. Do you have any details of the color combo, transmission, or condition of Mr. Andersons car?

SkylinerRon

NASCAR had a convertible class back then. That is probably where most of those cars went to.

Ron.

Ray

Absolutely correct Ron, when I get a chance, I can post what dealers they went to.
Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Lou

From my data plate research, There were 6 "F" convertibles built, and 20 "F" retractables built.( I have the data plate info on all the retrackables) On April 15 & 16 , 1957 16 suppercharged "D" Thunderbirds built along with and unknown number of Ford cars. Late in the day on April 16, 1957 Ford started stamping the "F" engine code for suppercharged cars. All 1207 suppercharge t-birds and cars were built at Dearborn.
FYI ::The city of Minneapolis had 50 suppercharged police cars. I assume they were Customs tudors.

Ray

Lou, not to get into an argument here but I think your 6 convertible estimate is on the money from what I know. I am under the impression that more than 20 retractables were built as well as more than a thousand passenger cars. Did you get these figures from TARTC or some other source? It would be interesting to know what the sources of these statistics are. Thanks.
Willow Green 57 convert
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird