News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

F codes

Started by hemidave, 2017-07-03 20:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Randyh

I had thought that all of the D code supercharged Tudors (65), Convertibles (20) and T-Birds (15) were built in January 1957 to meet the NASCAR homologation requirement of 100 vehicles.  I would also be interested to find out about the supercharged D codes built in April.

Lou

Most of my information was collected in the 1980s when I started my research in 1953 to 1960 Ford data plate information, the majority being 1955 to 1958 (about 30,000 listings) The info on 20 "F" retrackables came from TARTC (they refused to give me any info on the convertibles) Bruce Johnson was the person who told me about the 6 "F" convertibles and the 2 "F" Rancheros  as he owned one of the rancheros at the time and was looking for one of the convertibles. (He also had the only"F" station wagon too)
The 1207 suppercharges came from one of the Granatelli (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) brothers as they had just bought Paxton and were kind enough  to look thru Paxtons files for me.
The 16 "D" birds info came from Ford Johnson over lunch in 1983 along with info on 2 430 factory powered 57 t-birds.
As for suppercharged Fords being built for NASCAR it seems unlikely as only a single carburetor was allowed in the stock class as I was told by Russ Truelove who was racing his 56 Mercury and in his book "Highspeed at Low Tide".
In or around 2000 I got a chance to speak with Ned Jerrett at the Ford Nationals he autographed a picture I had of him with his 57 Ford convertible race car and told me and interesting thing, they were not convertibles but hardtops with the tops cut off.

SkylinerRon

NASCAR allowed Superchargers, multi carbs and fuel injection early in the season later the rules
changed to single 4 barrels only.

The 2 57 T-Birds were 368" Lincoln Y's.

Ron.

Ray

Very interesting, I knew Bruce Johnson quite well as I was living in Minneapolis when I bought my first little bird. I purchased my Gunmetal "F" T-Bird from him shortly after I moved to California. He was the source of the 6 convertible story for me as well. Bruce had 2 Rancheros but one had an early data plate which contraindicates validity. Also, Jim Weatherly told me at some point that there was only one Ranchero. Bruce had that car. The earliest "F" data plate date T-Bird we know of was a car That Don Antilla had in Connecticut. That car was built on June 10th. The list of T-Birds that Shields started has grown to 197 of the 213 cars as a couple have come out of the woodwork since he did the original list. It will be interesting to see if Jack Anderson's D-F convertible is a cut down hard top.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Lou

Ray, thank you for responding, I checked my list and the earliest "F" bird I have is June 12, F7FH 310741. The earliest Ford car I have is May 22, F7FG 294564 a custom sedan 70A.
Bruce Johnson bought that "F" Ranchero from a guy I knew in Alabama (I can't remember his name) he also told me it was 1 of 2 ordered by the DePaolo brothers thru their Ford dealership. This was the guy who first found and restored the only "F" station wagon. Bruce found the wagon some years later in California minis the supercharger and restored the car again.

Ron, Do you have the data plate info on the 368 powered T-birds? Would you share it with me?
In 1963 I was working at a garage in Bridgeport, CT one of are customers had a 57 bird with a 352 in it, he swore it was the original engine, but the car was painted a dark purple and the guy was sort of a A--hole, plus I knew he didn't buy the car new so I didn't believe him. I often wonder if it was a 352 factory powered car.

hemidave

The former Jerry Capizzi "F" code Skyliner will be going up for auction at the Auctions America Auburn venue Aug 31-Sept 3.
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

Ray

Don's F was F7FH310743, Black exterior, Red interior, built on the 10 of June. An overdrive car. Jerry Torchner's 4 door country sedan is still the only station wagon known. I believe Jerry bought it off a used car lot in San Francisco in the day. As for the "battle birds" one was powered by the 368, the other was powered by a supercharged 312. I believe Gill Baumgartner restored the supercharged car years ago, it's around and the 368 car has not been found. I have a friend that was close to the DePaolo family, I might be able to get some more info.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

hemidave

What about the 300hp green 2dr wagon "Sounds of Silence"  and the yellow "Parham & Payne " 4 dr wagon that were raced back in the day? Were they C or D codes with an  "F" motor transplant? I remember seeing pictures of them on the 57Ford.com site.
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

SkylinerRon

I don't have data plate info on the 368 Bird but, it was probably a transplant by Special
vehicles garage at Ford.
I read about these cars decades ago in mags and later in books.

The drag cars were transplants.  There was a 4dr hardtop also raced, maybe by P&P.

Ron.

hemidave

Has anyone seen or heard any details of the recently found D/F Sunliner ?

Lou

D/F Sunliner....Three years ago, for a client, just before I retired and sold my antique auto appraisal business I looked at what was being told to him was one of the early factory supercharged convertibles, I found the car to be a fake. 

Hoosier Hurricane

Re: the drag wagons.  I am good friends with both Bob Bayles (Sounds of Silence) and Gordon Payne.  Gordon's car was a 2 door wagon, not 4 door.  Neither car was a factory F code.  Bob sold his car years ago, Gordon is currently restoring a replica of a '57 Fairlane 500 he drove on the street in the '60s.  He has installed an F engine in it, a D car.   John

jegsr

There was only "1" 1957 Ford Custom 300 "F Code" Built...... I use to own it. I sold it an it is now a guys daily driver. We all heard about the F Conv and Ranchero, never seen one or prove.

57super500

I purchased an F code Fairlane 500 that was formally owned by Don Miller retired President of Penske Racing. It came with a 3 ring binder with bulletins from Ford Motor Company to dealers talking about the 312 supercharged engines. One bulletin dated January 4, 1957 states that:

The number of these engines available in the month of January will meet the requirements necessary to qualify this engine for the Nascar Daytona Beach Speedweeks on February 3, 1957. It was not feasible due to manufacturing  start up problems, the limited time available, and the limited initial production to place these units in all districts. They were placed therefor in districts where they could be utilized to the company's greatest advantage to insure the largest participation possible at Daytona Beach.
          Installation of these new engine for January production only has been restricted to Custom Tudors, Convertibles, and Thunderbirds with standard transmissions.
         Although sale of these units is definintely not restricted to race drivers, it has been suggested that the dealers receiving these January units please endeavor to place them with buyers who intend to compete at Daytona Beach.
          If your district did not receive any of these engines in January and you feel you have a buyer interested in Daytona Beach participation, it is suggested you contact Mr. J. H. Mackay, Special Programs Coordinator in the General Sales Office immediately.

There is also a list from 12/26/56 showing  dealers where the cars with superchargers were sent- 65 Custom 2-dr. , 20 convertibles, and 15 Thunderbirds. 

Also found a letter from Ford Motor dated April 16, 1957 to a gentleman wanting to buy a supercharged car that the supply has been exhausted and will not be available again until the middle of May. He should contact Bob Reece Motors to make arrangements to obtain a supercharged unit or any other car of your choice.

hemidave

Great info,  Thanks for posting it !   ^^^