News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Dash Removal, '57 Country Sedan

Started by Teddymac, 2017-07-19 13:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddymac

This is probably simple stuff to you hard working '57 addicts. I need some advice on removing the dash. I have a deserved reputation of tearing into projects and then letting them sit. I'm trying to out think that problem!
My project has an after market column (don't know whose) but turn signals don't work. Neither does the speedo (Haneline). The dash has a "spun aluminum" looking panel cover that I believe may be stuck by double sided tape. I don't want to destroy it-----yet. It also has added on A/C that of course takes up under dash room. Add to that the fact that this creaky old doesn't bend as well as it did more than 3/4 century ago and there's a problem I want to simplify.
Back in the 60ties it wasn't a problem but now buying someone else's project is.

lalessi1

The dash itself is easy, all the stuff connected to it is the issue. The dash is bolted to the body on both sides and is screwed to the body under the windshield garnish trim. The A/C adds another issue. These cars are very simple but access to do some things requires body contortions and removing "this to get to that", especially with "optional equipment". Wiring wise is similar, especially with a modified car. The harness on a stock car can stay but it must be removed from each component...but who knows how your car was modified. I replaced mine a while back, it was somebody's project. I bought another dash (the one in the my car was cut up) and jumped right in. Take out the front seat first and then "eat the elephant a bite at a the time", contract a youngster with small hands.
Lynn

Teddymac

Thanks for the response! I have small hands but ain't no youngster!

Ford Blue blood

Remove the seat!  Easiest way to save your back!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Teddymac