Took 57 AGIN to an historical Burger place in Southern California

Started by 57AGIN, 2017-07-29 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Back in the 1960's, Harvey's Broiler on Firestone Blvd. in Downey, CA was a major Cruisin' place with car hops and lots & lots of really neat cars, every night of the week and especially after a day or evening at Lions Drag Strip about 7 mile to the South. Some years later when Lions was closed and "Crusin" was no longer in vogue the property became a used car dealership. That too ended, in 2007 the building was about to be demolished, but concerned citizens were able to save it by having it declared an Historical Landmark.  Bob's Big Boy Restaurants bought the property, refurbished it and it stands today as a tribute to a bygone era.  I took my 57 there for dinner tonight and found that not only does the menu have the "original' California Bob's Big Boy Burger, but also an "original" Ohio Bob's Big Boy Burger and one from another mid-West State. 57 AGIN looks pretty darn good sitting there amidst modern cars and a couple of "classics." By the way, the burgers were still great.

Bob
57 AGIN

hiball3985

Thanks Bob, that sure brings back memories of the good old days when it was Harvey's and you had to wait in a line of cars in the street just to get into the lot. Back then Bob's restaurants were very popular too. Glendale, Toluca Lake and Pasadena drive in's were always filled with hot rods and guys cruisin..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

That's as good as it gets. Bob.The big bucks and two years of frustrations, and one trip to the local hang out makes it all worth while. Your '57 has sooooo much more class than that other '57 in the lot. I'm happy to see you had the local sheriff keeping an eye on your car while you were inside, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hemidave

Great story and pic Bob, thanks for posting it! I miss my 2dr ht and retractable of years ago, but hope to have another '57 soon.
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

57AGIN

Hemidave:

I'm sure we're all looking forward to welcoming you back.

Bob
57 AGIN

Marc

The car looks great Bob. Glad you're able to get 'er out and enjoy it again.

junior58

Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

djfordmanjack

great efforts Bob, at last the 57 is back at Harvey's. :004:
A terrific place to hang out and their strawberry shakes are great as well, been there :002: