News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Original P/S pump with Borgeson PS box

Started by lotsafords, 2017-08-05 11:45

Previous topic - Next topic

lotsafords

Has anyone tried using the original PS pump with the more modern Borgeson steering box?  Additionally can this configuration be used with the original fender mounted vacuum assist?
Thanks
Jack

gasman826

I was considering the same thing...Borgeson box powered by OEM pump.  Borgeson tech support responded in an email that they knew nothing about OEM pump pressure or volume and to use their pump (Saginaw based).  Since the car was still Y-block, I didn't want aftermarket pump, pulley, bracket and possibly crank pulley.  I went with OEM stuff.

lotsafords

How long have you had it installed and do you see abnormalities as compared to other ps units you may have driven?

gasman826

Before installation, I sent it to Cardone for a custom rebuild of the valve and slave cylinder.  I changed the box, drag link, idler arm (rebushed it), and hoses to the OEM used pump with NO issues.  I've only driven it about a 1000 miles and is due to change all the oils.

lotsafords

Sounds like you covered all the bases.  Do you know exactly what was done over and above a standard rebuild of the pump?  I've had several refurbished for my Thunderbirds over the years but never actually asked for anything other than replacement.  Do you happen to know at what pressure a stock unit operates and at what pressure yours operates?
Thanks
Jack

gasman826

I did not have any of my pumps rebuilt.  The valve and slave cylinder on the drag link were custom rebuilt by Cardone.  When I say custom, I mean that I sent Cardone my cores, Cardone rebuilt my cores and then returned my cores rebuilt.  Cardone has a program where cooperating parts stores will rebuild and return your core.  Great if you have unique or numbers matching parts.

I have never hooked a pressure gauge to PS system.  I have always researched pumps and PS boxes for compatibility.  I've been lucky with my matches and haven't needed to do any diagnostics.  The aftermarket steering techs typically don't know or won't share information.  In they're defense, there are many pressure/flow combinations in the OEM world.  An example would be '57 PS pump pop off valve was rated at 700 psi.  By '64, the pumps were regulated at 1000 psi.  These were Eaton pumps, look very similar and in most cases could be interchanged. 

lotsafords

If I'm understanding you Gasman you merely installed a Borgeson power steering box on the frame and tied it to the original pump and continued to use the original slave system.  Did you try running just Borgeson box with the original pump, thereby eliminating the slave system altogether?

gasman826

That's what I wanted to do and asked Borgeson tech support for confirmation.  They would not comment on OEM compatibility.  So I installed a '64 OEM system on the wagon.  I've had a R&P system on the other car for many years.

clusterbuster

I have the Borgeson pump and box on my 57 Y Block and have talked them several times. They told me the pump fitted up to the Y Block puts out between 1100 and 1250 PSI. They must feel that is the proper range to run their box. There must be someone that knows what the OEM pump puts out. If not, the only way to tell is gauge it.

cokefirst

According to the 57 Ford shop manual, the power steering pump output should be no less than 700 psi and the normal range is between 700-900 PSI. 
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

lotsafords

Thank  you coke first.  I can now look at increasing the pressure of the original pump.  I think that modification is possible and would certainly make for a much nicer install.
Thanks again.
Jack

gasman826

By '63, maybe sooner, the Borge-Warner PS pumps had 1000 psi relief valves on them.  Most have the cracking pressure stamped in the cover of the relief cap.