News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear engine oil Leak

Started by chapingo17, 2017-08-11 00:56

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I freshly rebuilt my engine 292 y block a year ago. Now, I'm having an oil leak (engine oil) by the bell housing. Not sure if my mechanic knew how to install the rear seal. I will probably need to remove the tranny to see where the leak is coming from "hopefully from a rear plug" but, if I need to replace the rear seal while the engine is in the car, I would need some guidance or an old post to remove and replace the rear seal. If any one has a suggestions or refer me to a step by step procedure to replace rear seal if need it. Thank you.

59meteor

Make sure that you know where the oil is coming from. Several years ago I thought I had a rear main seal on a 312 I had recently rebuilt, turned out it was actually leaking from the sheetmetal oil filter plate. Because the oil filter is close to the rear of the engine, I assumed it was the rear main seal, but after cleaning the area and running the engine, I could see oil seeping between the filter plate, run onto the oil pan rail, and slowly migrate to the rear of the pan, and puddle under the bellhousing. A leak from the rear of the valve covers or lifter valley baffle plate could also appear at the rear of the engine. Good luck (and I hope it is NOT the rear main seal.)
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

chapingo17

Yes, I did reseal the oil filter plate but the oil leak is coming from the rear.

thomasso

The seals that you get these days are junk and will not last.  Mfgs. had to remove the asbestos.  New ones are just stringy something? with graphite.  They cant even be cut and trimmed properly.  Either replace with neoprene seal or find someone who has old asbestos  seals left over from old days.  Good luck
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ecode70D

I had a rebuilt Y block that the previous  owner thought  had a  leaking rear seal and it wasn't.  It  was an improperly installed back camshaft plug.  Do lots of investigation before removing your rear seal.  Had to slip the tranny back and remove the clutch and flywheel to replace the rear  cam plug.
    Neoprene rear seals are easier to install and they work. No trimming required.