I need a photo of the Brake Pedal Assembly & The Bracket to which it mounts

Started by KYBlueOval, 2017-08-16 15:03

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I pulled the brake pedal assembly from my pile of parts,and then looked for photos /drawings of the assembly and the mounting bracket, in the parts book, the body book, Carpenters', Concourse, Mac's etc.before I started to disassemble it for cleaning and sand blasting. Never found a really good photo. The few photos/drawings I did find, make me believe that the brake pedal assembly and mounting bracket,that came in boxes with the car, is not correct.
Does anyone on the Forum have such a brake pedal assembly ( Automatic ) and mounting bracket , that is out of the car, that you could take some photos of, so I can determine, if what I have is correct. And if what I have is not correct, the photo would sure help me find what I need.
Thanks
John

gasman826

automatic the same without the clutch pedal

KYBlueOval

Gary, thank you for the photos. just exactly what I needed. The Firewall to Dash bracket I have looks just like the one in the photo. The brake pedal arm looks very different. Which does not surprise me knowing some of the other "fixes" I've encountered on this car.
So I need a brake pedal arm, and from what I've seen in the shop manual, I believe there is a spring that I'll need as well. The bushings and rubber bumper look like they are available from Carpenter etc..
Before I post a "Wanted" ad, do you have  pedal and spring you would sell?
Thanks
John

59meteor

The spring in the photo is for the clutch pedal, not the brake pedal. On an automatic car, the brake pedal pivots on seperate pin, with a manual trans, the clutch pedal itself has a pin, which takes the place of the brake pedal pin, so the brake pedal now pivots on the clutch pedals pin. When I converted my 59 from auto to 4 speed, the pedal change over was very simple, as I had another 59 stickshift car to get the parts from. Manual or automatic, the brake pedal install very easily, with just the pivot, a pair of bushings, and the master cylinder pushrod. No extra spring or hardware. This is for a manual brake car, power brake cars are very different, as they use a different pedal assembly to work with the under dash vacuum bellows assembly
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

billd5string

I have an automatic brake pedal and maybe a spring as well leftover from when I converted to a clutch. I'll check when I get home and let you know.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

KYBlueOval

Quote from: 59meteor on 2017-08-17 09:37
The spring in the photo is for the clutch pedal, not the brake pedal. On an automatic car, the brake pedal pivots on seperate pin, with a manual trans, the clutch pedal itself has a pin, which takes the place of the brake pedal pin, so the brake pedal now pivots on the clutch pedals pin. When I converted my 59 from auto to 4 speed, the pedal change over was very simple, as I had another 59 stickshift car to get the parts from. Manual or automatic, the brake pedal install very easily, with just the pivot, a pair of bushings, and the master cylinder pushrod. No extra spring or hardware. This is for a manual brake car, power brake cars are very different, as they use a different pedal assembly to work with the under dash vacuum bellows assembly
59 Meteor, thanks for the reply and information. It is very possible that what I have is a power brake pedal.
I recognized that the spring in the photos was the clutch spring. Looking at a pedal assembly parts drawing, it showed a spring in the area of the pin and bushings. I assumed ( dangerous word ) I would need it. Good news that I don't. I'm going to try to find a power brake car locally to get a hands on look and see if I can determine what I have.

Ecode70D

John
     I hope that this illustration of the 57 Swift Sure power brake unit helps you to decide what brake arm that you have.   The SS brake arm does not even remotely look like the regular brake arm.
    Jay 

lalessi1

John, I have a power brake set up completely apart. let me know what pictures if any you need.
Lynn