News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Borgeson Box makes '57 drive like a moden car.

Started by suede57ford, 2017-08-16 15:21

Previous topic - Next topic

suede57ford

I just finished my '57 Ranch Wagon and used the Borgeson Steering Box.   It works fantastic! It has a firm feel and quick ratio like a modern car.  I finished the car about two weeks ago and immediately took it on a 3,400 mile trip which included all types of roads and conditions including winding mountain roads.   Both my wife and myself felt confident steering the car the entire trip.

One key component to the success of the box is to have it aligned to modern car specs with as much caster as they can put in it.  I stacked two factory shims on each rear lower control arm bushing to add some caster, before it went to the alignment shop.  The alignment shop could not mount the fixtures of the new Hunter alignment machine, due to the rear quarter hanging over the wheel and I have 275/45/20(29.5" tall) rear tires on a 20x9 1/2" wheel on the rear with a folded lip.  The solution to get a fixture on the car is to put some skinny rear wheels with the same height tire for the Hunter machine set-up. I will publish my specs later. I also loaded the car with some weight to duplicate how it will set during road trips. 

I was able to use stock shift column shift linkage, connected to the AOD, but shortening the '59 column(for the horn) about 2.5"( I should have got an exact measurement, but I was under a time crunch) and relocating the lower column shifter shaft stand behind the lower shifter arm and rewelded it to the column where it mounts on the column inside the factory floor plate.  I used an aftermarket bearing that fit almost perfect at the trimmed end of the column with the Borgeson splined sleeve from the original shaft to the new box. I had to put 1/4" spacer under the column support and made a thin wedge for he box so the shaft came up close to the original location and did not bind at all. I used a 1" smaller diameter stock looking steering wheel I made a few years ago and it looks just right with original horn ring, but most could use the aftermarket smaller T-bird steering wheesl that is available with a hole drilled to use the '59 style horn contact spring.

My main regret of the build was using the Aerostar front springs.  I have Granada spindles(creates 1" drop) plus the Aerostars and it just sunk!   I added a 1/4 steel ring spacers, plus 1/8" original rubber shims  and some 3/8" aluminum shims(early Camaro aftermarket) to get it up high enough to use on the trip.   I switched to S-10 Springs, only $70/pr. at the parts store. S10's are rated slightly higher installed height in the catalog to than the Aerostar and eliminate any spacers.  The S-10's ride nice and raised it up 2" over the Aerostars.  I trimmed nearly a full coil off the S-10's drop it back down another inch.  It's low and drives good now,  I like my cars low used a 26' tall 225/18 front tire, and rolled the front fender lips flat with my "Shark Door Skinner" tool for max clearance.   Loaded down, the tires occasionally rub the front fenders on a tight turn.   Looks great, but there has to be a better progressive spring choice, as the Aerostars are also "too soft" riding for good handling.   I'm still researching to find a better spring choice for use with Granada spindles which lower it an inch and leave some suspension travel.  I feel the Aerostars are not "safely" usable for our cars with Granada spindles, but the S-10 trimmed some may be a good substitute.   A stock spring with some trimmed off is still a good option for a lowering a '57.  Also, I aways trim about 1" of the lower suspension rubber bumper to give more suspension travel when lowered.

I used a GM "Canned Ham" steering pump and Borgeson hoses which worked well.   I used on of the eBay "horse-shoe" looking p/s GM pump to 5.0 adapters with the stock, 5.0 pump bracket, which had to be really trimmed down to bolt the GM pump on. The pump Borgeson sells has the return fitting pointing right a the box, which is better than the off he shelf parts store pumps with return pointing down.

I had to put one dent in the LH eBay 5.0 headers  to give plenty of clearance, as it uses as much space as a '57 box near the exhaust.  a '58-59 manual box gives slightly more clearance.

I have not tried to put a stock clutch z-bar with the Borgeson box yet, as I've heard that can be an issue, but with auto and stock type linkage it works great.

I realize this information needs to go in the technical section of the page, but I wanted as many members to see the post initially, as it is a great option and not overly complicated to make work if you have the room for an integral box.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

KidKourier

Suede, Check out the tech article in StreetRodder--Oct.2017 issue on this install. Kid Kourier

suede57ford

I read that article right before I did mine.   Some good tips.  They were happy with the results as well.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429