News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aluminum radiators from Auto City Classics.

Started by 59meteor, 2017-08-16 16:22

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

I am looking at a new radiator for my 428 FE powered 59 2 door sedan, and I see that Auto City Classics offers stock looking direct fit 2 row aluminum radiators for 57-59 Ford cars, for a pretty decent price. Anybody hear have one in their car? I bought my new gas tank from them a while back, it looks pretty good.  They also seem to have pretty decent prices on new windshields, thinking of getting one from them,  my main concern is shipping a large curved windshield to northern Washington State, and have it arrived undamaged.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

suede57ford

I've bought several of those radiators, and I'm happy with them. You may have to redrill the mounting holes, as they were about an inch too high.   The radiator cap mounting is very high, so check before you try to shut the hood.

The weld on the top is sometimes kinda ugly, but you could epoxy fill over it, sand and clean it up before painting.  The drain plug is plastic, so do not overtighten it.

You can paint them black, and they look fairly stock except for the weld on the tank.  To paint aluminum, it's best to scuff the smooth surfaces, black epoxy, then a coat of black urethane.  You can put as much paint as you want on the tanks and sides, but just a light coat on the edges of the fins.

They are a great place to order glass from as well.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

clusterbuster

I bought my aluminum  3 row radiator from stage2racing on Ebay and it is a perfect fit , no clearance issues at all, and bolted right in. I would recommend them and the price was real reasonable.

RICH MUISE

I got mine from Auto City Classic as well. Actually, I think a bunch of forum members did as well, and I've never heard a bad word about them.
I replaced my drain plug with a sacrificial anode. My radiator is moved an inch or so forward, so the radiator cap was closer to the hood, but cleared. You can use play-doh to check your clearance. I did have to make some mods on the core support to move it forward, but easy to do and no mods required unless your moving it forward from oem position. I've never had a heating problem with my 46 dohc, even in 105* heat, so the radiator is doing it's job.

If you attend large swap meets in your area, check to see if AutoCityClassic does that meet. If they do, you can have it delivered free (at least they use to)
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Pat is correct.  I had to redrill my mounting holes 1.25 inches higher to lower the radiator.  It works great with my 427 FE..holds a LOT of coolant, about 3 gallons or better.
Rich is also correct.  I picked mine up at Cruisin the Coast, no shipping.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

59meteor

Thanks for the input, it seems that Auto City Classics also offers this radiator in V8 configuration, but with 6 cyl. mounting. Am I correct in assuming that the radiator for a 6 cylinder is mounted further foreward, and if so, by how much?  My 59 is a factory 332 FE car, I know the stock fan was fairly close to the rad, but the 428 CJ now in the car has an Edelbrock aluminum water pump, which has the later short pump shaft, so with the 1969 pulleys I plan on using, there be some extra room, right? On a 59, the front of the hood is more upright than the sloping 57/8 hood, so I have to think that radiator cap clearance should be OK .Anybody used the 6 cylinder mounting with a FE engine?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

The 6 cyl radiator IS mounted vs the 8 cyl. configuration, I don't know how much though.
One of the pics on the auto city classic website for 57 radiators is wrong. I tried to tell them that when they first posted the pics/availability a few years back, but apparently they didn't listen. They show one radiator (suggesting it's the 6 cyl configuration if I remember) with both outlets on the same side. They asked me what that firt and I told them nothing oem that I was aware of. I don't even know if they actually have that radiator available. I'd make sure you tell them which sides the top and bottom outlet/inlet is on and have them doublecheck it's what you need.

Ecode70D

WOW  Rich !!!   That's interesting information for people with a 6. 

RICH MUISE

Here's the pic Auto City shows for the 6 cyl. My old 6 cyl core is still at our old house, but if I remember, the top inlet for the 6 cyl.                                                                                                                         is driver's side, but the bottom is passenger side, just the opposite of the 8 cyl. Somebody please confirm that............the past few times I've brought it up has had no replies.
I'm not aware of anything oem that radiator in the pic fits (outlet wise), or as I said even if it's available.

lalessi1

For my 428(462) I bought a Griffin radiator. I just moved it forward 2 inches to accommodate  my newly installed A/C compressor and Derale electric fan. My 7 blade 18" Flex-a-lite fan would not keep the car cool without a shroud. The fit is absolutely amazing. A bit pricey but the car now will hold 160 degrees at idle with 95 degree ambient temperature.

Lynn

RICH MUISE

Yes, something I should have mentioned as well when I was responding to the Auto City Classic question.......I am running a shrouded electric pull fan as well (Lincoln Mark Viii unit.)

59meteor

Well, I was looking at the Auto City Classic website, and noticed that they were comong to the Portland Swap Meet in early April, and they could bring ordered parts with them. Cool! I called, ready to order a new windshield and aluminum radiator for my 59, as Portland Oregon is only 6 hours from home, and I am leery about having a large, wrap around windshield shipped by truck. Anyhow, I called this morning, only to find out the truck was loaded, and headed West yesterday. Just my luck! Anyhow, I noticed that ACC now offers an aluminum radiator for 57-59 Ford cars, with a self contained 2600 cfm electric fan and shroud.Anybody have one of these, and if so, how do you like it? Trying to decide on the regular alum. rad or to pay he extra 100 bucks for the model with the electric fan.

JPotter57

I got my windshield delivered to Cruisin the Coast this past year.  It comes in tons of padding, no problems with it being shipped in the truck.  They even put in in a big box for you to get it to your residence in, so it is plenty safe.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.