News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heavy duty shocks

Started by thomasso, 2017-08-21 09:54

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasso

Can anyone suggest good heavy duty shocks for my convertible.  I can't remember where I got the susposed HDs I have now, don't even have 1/2" shafts as old time HDs had.  Adding gas and calling them HD is a joke.  As I understand gas only helps cool the shock if your running the Baja.  Anyhow he car rides like a marshmallow and bottoms out easily, also leans more than I like.  Thanks.  Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

RICH MUISE

Along with new shocks, it sounds like it's a prime candidate for new springs and hd front sway bar.  Sorry, no suggestions for shocks..........what works on my Custom probably won't on your much heavier convert.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Back in the 60-70's I always ran the Gabriel Adjustable E's with the half inch shafts, great shocks but now we are stuck with the gas ones and I don't like them either  :005:. I tried the Gabriels gas and didn't like them and switched to KYB's, they seem to be a little better.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JimNolan

As mentioned earlier, before I'd drive a 57 Ford Fairlane 500 I'd get the Big Front Sway Bar. I think the only reason they put big steering wheels on the 57 was to have something to hang on to while going around corners. Shocks won't help the sway problem 57 Fairlanes have. As far as shocks go, I've tried everything at least twice. KYB, stock and drag shocks. I've put over 50K miles on my 57 under all kinds of circumstances and I finally settled on the 50/50 setting of the drag shocks I had. Bet you didn't expect that recommendation.
As far as rear shocks on a stock Fairlane that uses the original shock mounts on the body. You're on your own. It's a flimsy cross bar and mounting system that will easily break the pads off if using too much air in air shocks. I use 1956 Fairlane shocks back there to get the wheels off if I have a flat without loosening the shocks each time.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

lalessi1

I have KYB's on mine and I don't care foe them. I am planning on using Bilstein at some point. Summit sells the ones I am planning on using.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-f4be3e249m0

Lynn

clusterbuster

PST steering and suspension parts have heavy duty shocks and have a video presentation about them. Give them a call at 800 247 2288 and maybe they can set you with some.

thomasso

Scrounging thru my valuable saved items ( other peoples junk) I found a nice pair of old school Monroe Matics  that I had removed from my 63 Riviera in the 90s. Also had a pair of old shocks  from my 57.   Very close in size.  The Buick lower mounts were too long so I pressed them out and put in the Ford ones, bushings were still ok.  Actually made quite a difference. Shocks on car were Delcos.  Thanks for the advice.  Will be coming up with a larger sway bar.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.