News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

AOD slipping

Started by Limey57, 2017-09-08 15:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I've got an AOD behind the 302 in my Ranchero, it was supposed to be good, all I did to it was replace front & rear seals and the filter. I've got a Lokar TV cable and a compensator bracket on an Edelbrock carburettor. This afternoon when driving uphill it started to slip and trying to go above 40mph was impossible, driving back down the other side and the rest of the journey was fine. Fluid level is fine and the fluid is red/smells normal.

Anyone got any ideas or is it time for a rebuild?

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

If the TV cable was not adjusted correctly, the shift speeds may be a little low and soft.  If too low and soft, the direct clutch slips.  Fourth gear  band is another weak point but if you couldn't get over 40, it probably wasn't in fourth gear.  If the direct clutch slips one time, it's done.  Rebuild in the near future.  Driving it isn't going to cost any more to rebuild except confidence and maybe a tow bill.  Some (but very few) AODs were built with six disc direct clutch.  The standard would be four.  The six disc upgrades are offered on internet transmission suppliers.

Limey57

Thanks, I've used the Lokar TV cable kit & set the slack as per the instructions using the supplied tool, so I THINK I set it up correctly.  The transmission has been unused for ~7  years, all I did was changed the seals, filter & fluid, so it was always a bit of a gamble.  It hasn't felt "right" since I started using it but I was hoping that it was just down to years of sitting around & a bit of use might start to free things off, but deep down I was budgeting for a new transmission!
Gary

1957 Ranchero