News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

3 speed linkage

Started by rovohn, 2017-09-12 16:48

Previous topic - Next topic

rovohn

Just bought a 57 Custom 300 4dr 223 3 speed
Problem is it seems to be stuck in gear and the column shift lever wont budge,the previous owner said it was a driver a couple of years ago but it has sat since then,any ideas?
I don't have the shop manual yet so I don't have any schematics
I had a Country Sedan and a Fairlane 500 way back in the early 90's,I also have 3 British cars as well
Cheers,John
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

59meteor

Howdy neighbor! :canada: I have a 58 Ford shop manual, and will be having lunch in Langley this Saturday.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

terry_208

When I got my car the shift lever wouldn't move.  After liberally spraying the little selector box, just above the above the steering gear, and gently working the shift lever, things began to free up and move.  It did take a couple times of spraying the little selector box and some time to soak.  My car had been sitting for 50 years.

Terry

lowrider

A lot of times the linkage hangs up because it's just plain worn out. Look at the linkage arms at the end of the column to see if they both line up. If they don't, pull up on the one that doesn't line up and see if you can shift it with the gear shift lever. If it starts shifting again it's probably worn out. If it doesn't or you can't move the levers then it could be seized up as previously mentioned.
If it starts shifting again, you can nurse it along by shifting slowly thru the gears until you can repair the worn shifting mechanism. If it hangs up again while your driving it just pull over and pull up on the lever again.

Lgcustom

Check the shift arms on the transmission to make sure they are tight. I've had problems shifting if one of the arms is loose.

rovohn

Well it looks like I might have solved my problem,the gear lever wouldn't move at all so with my wife's help we oiled the lever pivot point and I also noticed a zerk fitting on the assy where the rods attach,so I greased the shaft and with my wife in the car moving the lever it finally came free after 10 minutes,Whew!
It looks like the 2-3 rod is bent so I will try to straighten tomorrow,although it does shift through all the gears.
Look like another 57 is back on the road!!!
Cheers,John
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

SkylinerRon

I'd do a linkage adjustment before I bent anything.

Maybe a factory bend. Those rods are stiff, not easy to bend!

Goodluck,

Ron.

rovohn

Thanks Ron
It all seems to work fine,the rods look bent but they must be correct as it shifts ok
Cheers,John
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery