News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Traction Masters

Started by lalessi1, 2017-10-02 12:15

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Anybody using Traction Masters?
Lynn

gasman826

I've seen several sets of Traction Masters and CalTracs at work.  I like the CalTracs because they're adjustable and Traction Masters are NOT.  I'm going to fab the Traction Master style with two modification.  One will be swedge rods for adjustment and poly rod ends to be more steerable than hiems joints.  Both available at Speedway Motors as well as universal brackets.  If you kinda' squint your eyes, this system makes a little four link.  The leaf spring is the top link and also works as the panhard bar.  The Traction Master works as the lower link.  Lots of the 10-12 second cars on Drag Week were running some kind of Traction Master or CalTracs.  I think one of the reasons there are limited application listings for '57s is the narrow leaf spring.  Both offerings replace the OEM spring plate.  CalTracs also replace the front left spring bushing.  The rear springs were widened '59????

59meteor

1959 Ford cars still have 2" wide leaf springs. On my 59 2 door sedan, I have an old pair of Lakewood J bolt style traction bars meant for Mustangs & Fairlanes, that replace the lower spring plate. These bars have provisons for staggered rear shocks, like used on Boss and 428 4 speed Mustangs, it looks like the shock mounts should line up with the 59s rear shocks. The 57-59s and 67-70 Mustangs both used lower stud mounting on the rear shocks (upper as well on the sedans and hardtop 50s Ford cars.) Since the traction bars are designed for cars with 2 1/2" wide leaf springs, thinking about welding up the old U bolt holes and drilling new holes closer together to fit tighter to the narrow leaf springs. Not sure if that is really neccasary, but can`t hurt. I am sure the same could be done to the Traction Master lower spring plates.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I noticed CalTracs are offered for '63 Galaxies that have almost identical rear spring hangers. They note that you must cut the bottom off of the front spring hangers for clearance. Do the Galaxies have 2 1/2" wide springs?
Lynn

SkylinerRon

I have T-M's on my 61 Starliner. Very good for street driving they limit axle windup/wheel hop accelerating and braking.
Caltracs press down hard on the rear springs a few inches from the front hanger and can bend stock springs, that's why
they recommend their H-D springs.  Really race car only use is practical.
Goodluck,
Ron.

KYBlueOval

Skyliner Ron..........check you Messages...........I sent you a P.M. a couple of days ago.
John

lalessi1

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the Traction Masters. They do require welding a bracket to the frame. I will report when they are installed!
Lynn

rmk57

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2017-10-04 00:23
I have T-M's on my 61 Starliner. Very good for street driving they limit axle windup/wheel hop accelerating and braking.
Caltracs press down hard on the rear springs a few inches from the front hanger and can bend stock springs, that's why
they recommend their H-D springs.  Really race car only use is practical.
Goodluck,
Ron.

Iv'e been using Caltracs for 3 years on my 57 and I can honestly say you wouldn't even know there on there, and they sure do work!

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

Thats a cool Custom Randy, whats in it?  Would love to see more photos..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

billd5string

I love that shot - what a cool looking Ford!
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

rmk57

Thanks! It's a mild 514 BBF, C6, 3.70 rear gear. Since this photo was taken I put removed the front sway bar, installed Calvert front drag shocks, put on a old set of Centerline auto drags I had laying around and with open headers it picked up over 3/10 tenths in really bad air ( smoke from forest fires). I think Iv'e reached the limit on extension on my rear shocks so thats on the winter to do list before I tear out the shock mount.
Yikes, I just noticed the rear spring hanger in that photo!

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

John Palmer

We have a local So. Cal. "well stocked" off road shop called McKenzies.  They (and I'm sure others) sell pre-made limit straps in one inch length increments sewn with a bolt eyelet on each end.  We used these to limit the rear suspension travel on our race car.  Since they are made from heavy duty seat belt material they give a "soft stop" to the limit.  Note, if you go that way, make sure you buy them "short" because they stretch when new close to an inch on a short strap.  You can put a single twist in them to get finer adjustments.

Another idea is to use a welded link chain.  After it attached to the frame, and the moving suspension part, it can be easily adjusted to length "at the track" by slipping a link inside another link and securing it with a bolt and nut.  This is how we controlled the excessive wheelies at sticky tracks.  As the front comes up, the sooner "it feels" the weight of the front tires/wheels/drums/spindles the more it dampens the wheelies.  A little lift is good, a excessive lift, just kills the 60' time.