News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front spring height

Started by Wirenut, 2017-10-02 19:37

Previous topic - Next topic

suede57ford

Here are Moog numbers with installed height and rate of springs that fit our cars.

Part #                     Installed Height/Rate
CC850(Aerostar)=          8.84"/608#(too low, no travel)
5658(S10)         =         10.15"/530#(haven't tried yet)
5660 (S10)        =         10.42"/598#(slightly lower than stock height, can be trimmed, 1 coil removed will drop another 2")
5662(S10)         =         10.74"/748#(very tall with high spring rate, seems too aggressive)

Stock Coils cut up to one coil work good too. 

I have used some drop-stop custom made springs and they were close in height to what I asked for out of the box.

Granada spindles can help drop 1", yet retain precious suspension travel.  I've used with the 5660 and trimmed to my liking.

Cut 1/2 initially, then go slow with the rest of the cuts. Drive over some bumps after each trimming, and expect another .5" of settling in a few weeks.   

You can trim 3/4" off the lower suspension bumper to gain more travel

So many variables in each car, you have to be willing to experiment to get it perfect.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Wirenut

It might not be so difficult if it were a bit easier to swap springs. I like the height of mine. I got my spring reinstalled and installed one set of 1/8" shims. I'll be test driving tomorrow so they can settle in and see where it needs adjusting. the

Wirenut

I want to update on my springs and alignment issues. First of all thanks to Hiball for his comment regarding the shims and removal of them to correct positive camber, that was the problem. I kept adding shims and got off in the direction I needed to go. I got confused and was making the problem worse. I almost cut my springs thinking I had no more adjustment. It's one of the analagies of not seeing the forest for the trees. I told my friend Jumping Jack Flash to put a bunch of shims in a sock and hit me upside the head next time he sees me for being so stupid. I appreciate the wisdom and experiences that so many on this site share. Great forum! My alignment issue has been corrected and I'm more knowledgeable today than yesterday. Life is good. :deadhorse:

RICH MUISE

Glad they were able to spot the problem and help you get it resolved. Just a head's up on getting a pro alignment...........I thought mine was close enough to drive for a while to settle the springs in, but it wasn't. If you recall my episode blowing out a tire at 70, with less than a few hundred miles on the new tires.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

Thanks Rich, I remember, I'll keep an eye on them. Looking forward to putting some miles on this fall!