News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Best toploader case

Started by billd5string, 2017-10-03 21:57

Previous topic - Next topic

billd5string

What is the prefered tailshaft case for a 57 with a bench seat? As I understand it there is a different tailshaft housing used on the 70's Torino's and Ranchero's than what was used on Mustangs.  Is that correct? Or is it just different shifters used to position the stick different for the various cars?
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

hiball3985

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I have a DOZR-7A040-A, see below

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/tailhousingid.htm

The important thing is the location of the 3 holes that are tapped for the shifter adapter.

Next you will need a Ford adapter plate like this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-1970-Mustang-Original-SB-Hurst-4-Speed-Shifter-Adapter-Plate-Good-Condition-/162684333985?epid=1034369277&hash=item25e0bdefa1:g:zOkAAOSw44BYPwpi&vxp=mtr

I used a Hurst 3913180 Comp Plus Shifter at first. The issue with that one was the shifter handle cannot be changed and it is offset required a bigger hole in the floor.

I discovered that Hurst made (makes) the same shifter (with the offset reverse arm) that fits a 63-64 Corvette, Hurst 3915405. It has a replaceable stick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-4-Speed-Shifter-Mechanism-Corvette-1963-1967-MUNCIE-451-BW-T10-1980-1981-/301440225650?epid=1354402520&hash=item462f3cd172:g:hEQAAOSwnHZYfQMt&vxp=mtr

I used a 538 7236 Hurst stick. PM me if you want more details.
Lynn

lalessi1

More info...
A 17" tail shaft can be used. It has the speedometer drive in the same place, it bolts up better to the cross member, early ones require a different shifter and adapter. Harder to find.

A 15 1/2" is very hard to find.

Below are pics of my set up
Lynn

billd5string

Thanks guys! I spent almost an hour on the phone with the guy I bought the transmission from on ebay, and he's shipping me a rebuilt Mustang 390 unit and bellhousing and some other bits I'll need. Really nice guy. I plan on working with him for the shifter (with bolt on lever) and clutch later when I have saved up enough money again.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

SkylinerRon

The best setup is a 64-up Galaxie box. The shifter is located all the way forward on the tailhousing
and the mount is in the correct location.

Mustangs have the shifter at the back end of the trans putting the stick thru the seat!
Also they have the short length tailhousing which makes you use a very long driveshaft.
The speedo is on the wrong side also.  This the worst one to use in a 57, you can spend more money
trying to adapt it than buying a Galaxie output shaft and tailhousing and converting the Mustang box over.
The 390 box will probably be a close ratio when a wide ratio is better for our heavier 57's.

Torino boxes are better than the Mustang on the shifter location and length.

Goodluck,

Ron.

gasman826

There is an aftermarket toploader tailhousing with three shifter locations.  I also think the Mustang version would not be the best choice due to the length and shifter location plus if it says Mustang on it...it costs more.  The close/wide ratio thing must be a personal issue.  I really liked all the close ratio transmissions that I've driven and raced.  Close ratio transmissions were used in fewer and usually high performance applications.

59meteor

I have a small input, wide ratio Toploader in my 59 2 door sedan, with a Hurst Super/Shifter 3 shifter, and the stock bench seat. The shifter has a short, straight stick, and clears the bench seat, unless the seat is all the way foreward.y trans was origionally from a 66 Fairlane 289,, the tailhousing has 5 holes drilled and tapped for the shifter, so it fits both the Mustang (rear pattern), and Fairlane shifter locations. As mentioned, the Mustang shifter location is too far back for the bench seat, the Fairlane location works great. As for close vs wide ratio, I can not think of any situation where I would prefer a close ratio, that 2.32 1rst gear is a real performance killer! All the 427 & 428CJ cars with 4 speeds had close ratio transmissions, and even with 4.30 gears, the close ratio is a handicap for acceleration. Years ago, I swapped a buddys big spline, 2.78 low gear custom Toploader into my 70 R code Mach 1(with 4.30 gears), and the acceleration improvement was startling. I never got a dragstrip timeslip with the wide ratio trans, but I would have been suprised if the ET improvement was not at least 2 -2 1/2 tenths.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

SkylinerRon

Who sells the  aftermarket tailhousing and how long is it? Is there a shaft to go with it?

P.O. Put a Mustang box in my 61 Starliner and I had to change it over.

Anyone who has driven a wide box on the street will prefer it over a close.

Ron.

gasman826