News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

won't kick over

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2017-10-14 11:47

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi again,    working on my electric antenna and finally got it working right,  turns out it was a ground problem.   now for the problem,  in working with it i dropped a socket and landed on the cylinoid & battery connection,  sparks flew,  i fried sosmething,  went to start the car,  nothing,  changed the cylinoid and it turns over but won't start,   took the connection off and tried to jump with the batter connection using a screw driver, ,  starter turns over but nothing,  any ideas out there?,  it could be a fuse somewhere,  but where?,    thanks     jerry

JPotter57

Still got points?  Check for spark..if none, check your condenser..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

geraldchainsaw

P.S.   forgot to add,     have electronic egn

Ecode70D

I hope that you didn't fry the control module in your electronic ignition.  Was your ignition switch turned on when you dropped the socket?

geraldchainsaw

don't rremember if egn was on or not,     also,  i hate working on a 312,  dist  isn't in the best of spots

John Palmer

When you replaced the solenoid, did you reinstall both of the small 14ga wires?  If so, is the red 14ga wire in the position closest to the hot battery cable side?  The brown 14ga wire should be on the side closest to the cable going down to the starter.  "If" they are reversed, it will not start.

geraldchainsaw

to j palmer,    i had #'s on each wire,  so i'm sure i put them right,  but just in case i;ll rreverse them tomorrow and check again,  thanks      jerry

gasman826

If the wires were reversed on the small pins, it would not crank with the key.

geraldchainsaw

to gasman,    turns over but won't fire using the key,   i'll explain again what happened.    a socket feel hitting the battery connection on the cyl and mounting screw,  shorting out,    syl was bad after,  changed it,  turns over but won't fire   

Ecode70D

Jerry
     Check your messages
Jay

geraldchainsaw

i'll give a update,  i just quit after working on it for 12 straight hours,  and back to where i started,  so i got no where.   i tried a new electronic dist set up,  i check the coil and not getting any spark,  tried diff coils,  its beyond me,  talked to one of the guys on our forum,  Jay,  he thinks its the dist.   i've tried everything,  something is fried,  and i havn't the expertise to fix it this time.   i got a feeling this is going to cost.     thanks guys for all the suggestions

Ray

distributor does not cause no start unless it has no dwell. since you are using an alternate source for dwell, probably not the problem. turn the motor, check the voltage on the low (12 volt pos) side of the coil. should go up and down. if not, your electronic ignition has a problem or the supply wire is open.. If it does, coil. If the electronic ignition uses the distributor ground, check the ground wire. just thoughts on troubleshooting.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

geraldchainsaw

ok,  couldn't do it,    off the the electrical shop