1957 Ford Fairlane generator to alternator upgrade

Started by chapingo17, 2017-10-22 09:43

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I recently upgraded to alternator setup. My field wiring in the generator shorted out and had a hard time rebuilt it. Looked for a procedure to replaced generator to alternator easy. Hardest thing was the mounting of the new alternator to existing generator bracket. I found a procedure on a Y block forum for a 1956 Ford alternator conversion. I thought it would be beneficial to post. Just in any case someone needs to upgrade to alternator. Here is the link.      http://www.y-block.info/tips/alt/alt.html.

Just be careful on the wiring procedure (last part) everything is good except on the part were it says " Remove the Black/White band wire from the "F" terminal" on my vehicle "F" terminal is black and red wire. It might be cause the 1956 Fairlane wiring is different. By following this procedure you will keep the generator light, original as possible.

Wirenut

I had an alternator shop that rebuilds starters, alternators, and generators convert my ford alternator to a 1 wire set up with a built in voltage regulator like gm. It simplified things and makes a cleaner set up without the regulator on the fender. I also had issues with the lights getting dim during idle when my ac was running so they beefed the alternator up to handle more amps. I went through a  mechanical and one electronic regulators before I found out they could do that. Another option for upgrades.

Ford Blue blood

Look at the 3G Ford used.  A "bolt in" came out of the early 2000s Taurus.  It is not quite a one wire but all you need is switched 12V.  The pulley will swap from a serpentine to V easy from any early Ford alternator and you will be able to use the readily available gen - alt mounts for the Y.  I will try to dig out the specific part number and post it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

A few years ago, there was this guy offering an alternator upgrade kit for '57s.  They were sold on eBay and others members gave positive feedback.  I bought one and it fit my Y-block great.  When I changed to 351w, a few shims and pulley change to fit.  This kit fit and works as expected and uses the OEM wires and dash light.  My only concern is that it is a custom alternator.  If it dies, there will be no 'off the shelf' replacement.  Things never break when you're setting at home with nothing to do.  This alternator is an early, internally regulated Delco that has modifications.  Looking for replacement part number or application.

lalessi1

I bought a Ford "Tuff Stuff" alternator from Summit and a solid state regulator from O'Reilly's. Simple hook up with alternator light provision. I didn't see the need for a "single wire" set up.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-10-23 07:25
A few years ago, there was this guy offering an alternator upgrade kit for '57s.  They were sold on eBay and others members gave positive feedback.  I bought one and it fit my Y-block great.  When I changed to 351w, a few shims and pulley change to fit.  This kit fit and works as expected and uses the OEM wires and dash light.  My only concern is that it is a custom alternator.  If it dies, there will be no 'off the shelf' replacement.  Things never break when you're setting at home with nothing to do.  This alternator is an early, internally regulated Delco that has modifications.  Looking for replacement part number or application.
That sounds like the same one I bought. It was a new alternator and mounted using the OEM brackets. It has two wires, one for the Bat and one for the Gen light. It was about $150, some places want that much for a set of brackets  :005: I have about 8K miles with no problems. I share the concern about not being able to get a replacement if it goes out on the road far from home. I've had generators go out and made it home over 100 miles with nothing on but the ignition..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

cokefirst

I have installed the powergen alternator on two of my Ford vehicles and intend to put them on all my cars.  (3 more to go)  This is not an economy option, but you get the look of the stock generator with an alternator that does operate your dash light.  I wired mine through the voltage regulator using the existing wiring harness.  I had to cut and disable the internal connections in the voltage regulator, but in the end, I have the original voltage regulator in place along with the alternator.  https://www.amazon.com/Powermaster-Performance-82101-2-PowerGEN-Alternator/dp/B005AUJS8U/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1513879618&sr=1-4&keywords=powermaster+alternator+ford  this is a link to Amazon who is one of the dealers that sell them, however they are available through many other outlets.  The cost is high, but if you want a near stock look, this does the job.  I am a big fan!
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

gasman826

great idea to keep the OEM appearance.

The Raunch Wagon lost its virginity a long time ago so I went with a PowerMaster 130 amp.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-47757

Two wire hookup...battery and dash light.  In a pinch, Summit will overnight it to most places.

silverbird#58

[quote author=  in my case   the alternator WAS a problem . 
                          in wifes 2001 cummins  2500  truck   , the 47re trans is Fine  .  durable unit .
                   no  hydraulic valve body .  it is solinoid shifted   chrysler invented this  for the  L606 case in 1993 to  2003 , and still in production.
                  After that Jap  alternator got s many miles on it , the diodes got weak and leaked out signal noise (in the  video range )  to the batteries. 
                   the batteries are the Final filter of noise so  ,  if weak it goes to the power train computer  and does funny stuff to shift points  , converter lock up (chrysler  invented too ) .
               some how the 200 series cummins would do better  with a delco   35 amp dc gen. 
                                                                           lets see  ,  math wise    65 amps pulsed ac =   65amps x .707 = 45.9 dc amps    and 1 hp = 746 watts forever