News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 ranchero tail gate

Started by 2rusty57, 2017-10-23 20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

2rusty57

:unitedstates:   Can anyone help me foresee  the potential changes in using a 57 wagon tailgate on 57 ranchero   There are top catches that won't be used. And what activates the star gear my latch only operates the top catches.  Any thoughts. Thanks

57chero

I know the top catches can be removed and a metal trim piece screws on the top of the tailgate  then the stainless trim screws to it that turns it into a ranchero tailgate. The lift latch should operate the side latches unless your missing the rods inside the gate that pull on the latches to release it or they fell off which happens sometimes. I have some tailgate pieces if your missing any. You would also disconnect the key lock and install the steer head emblem to cover the hole.

2rusty57

It looks like there is a trim piece on the front above the latch and just under the chrome trim that I might need.  Will look closer at the inside mechanism today. Thanks

57chero

Maybe one of you wagon guys can explain how the tailgate and lift window operate, I'm not that familiar with the wagons compared to the ranchero. I'm not sure what parts you need but this is what I have, the latches that go on the jam of the tailgate and the parts that attach to them inside the tailgate that work with the pull up latch, also have the piece that covers the top of the tailgate and the stainless trim piece that goes on top.

Ford Blue blood

The "paws" that stick up through the top to latch the lift gate will come out of the latch mechanism very easy.  Just need to remove the assembly from the gate to get after it.  You will need to disable the lock mechanism on the gate handle.  I just welded mine in the "unlock" position.  The top of the gate has a separate piece the mounts on to it with several sheet metal screws and cover the hole for the paws.  The stainless then mounts on it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

2rusty57

Thanks this is a great help I actually need that top piece that just below the stainless steel it has a contoured  to it. And hinged supports for each side. Thanks

57chero

2rusty57, sent you a PM.

2rusty57

Would like to hear from 57 chero

57chero

Check your email , I sent you a PM through this site.

57chero

Whats your zip, I will get you a total with shipping.

2rusty57

2rusty57

It's in the mail  and again thank you this forum has helped me so much. Just  sign up but have review topics each night for two years. Its a big help

57chero

2rusty57, In case you didn't get my PM, your parts are on the way.

Thanks

2rusty57

Thank you it arrived yesterday  do u need more for postage thanks

57chero