News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

PCV valley cover

Started by junior58, 2017-10-31 17:07

Previous topic - Next topic

junior58

Hey guys, I'm on the hunt for a valley cover with the PCV valve so I can get rid of the road draft tube, but down here in NZ we don't have as much to choose from so any help would be appreciated. I'd rather use a factory set up rather than mount a PCV in a rocker cover if I can. Thanks.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Ray

I don't believe ford ever supplied a PCV for Y blocks. Most of the systems I have seen involved a valley pan that would take a road draft tube at the rear of the valley pan. All y-blocks from 1958 to 1962 came with that valley pan. If you have the later valley pan and road draft tube, it is fairly easy to adapt the road draft tube to a PCV. I see both valley pan road draft tubes and correct valley pans on e-bay all the time.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

junior58

5, 6 and 7 Tbirds and later Y's, possibly truck, had PCV valley pans.
Steve McKnight

hiball3985

61-64 cars and trucks all had PCV provision on the valley cover. If you notice 61-64 blocks have no hole in the block for a road draft tube. The cover I used came off a 60 but I couldn't verify that was an original.. These valley covers have a cap with a nipple for a hose rather then a grommet.
In this picture of an engine I was building you can see it at the top. The block is a 57 so I will use a Tbird type block off plate were the hole for the road draft tube goes. I have another one off an engine if you need a better picture. Good luck finding one, I do see them on Ebay occasionally.

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

Junior..give Tim McMaster a email or shout. he has a ton of Y block stuff. good guy.
http://yblockguy.com
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

I've had Y-blocks with the early (side of the block) draft tube holes plugged with a freeze plug.

Ray

The lower block off plate is readily available from any of the reproduction parts suppliers.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

thomasso

Or you can drill the valley cover and install a PCV rubber grommet in the area where the road draft tube would go.  Or if your cover already has the road draft tube hole I have an extra nipple for a hose.  And if you prefer clean air on the intake side, fabricate a plate with a nipple for the old road draft hole in block and run a tube to a nipple installed in  the bottom of your air cleaner inside the element where the air is filtered.  And block off the holes in the oil filler cap.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

cokefirst

The 1958 and later Y blocks had a draft tube that was attached to the rear of the valley pan.  the hole is not set up for a PCV valve, as there is a piece of sheet metal that is there to hold the bolt for the draft tube.  I think you would be better off drilling a hole in the back of the earlier 1955-1957 Y block valley pan and put a grommet in that application for the PCV valve.  JMHO.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

Ford Blue blood

You need some kind of screen/filter to keep from pulling raw oil mist through the PCV.  Most all PCV equipped cars have a steel wool type filter in a cage around the PCV port.  It has drain functions to allow accumulated oil to run out.  I have used the stainless dish scrubbers with great success.  They are course enough to allow good air flow and still catch the oil that is suspended.  Go without and you will use a bunch of oil on any kind of trip where the engine gets a good workout.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

junior58

Thanks for all the tips guys. I have been in touch with Tim and his suggestion is to plug the draft tube and then mount a PCV valve directly into the road draft canister and run an appropriate hose up to the manifold. The internal filter in the canister acts as the baffle, and any oil that does accumulate will return to the sump via the internal drain tube that is already there. He's going to send me a photo of a modified canister that he's done just to show the positioning of the PCV valve, but it sounds like a really simple mod.
Steve McKnight

lotsafords

Does sound like a reasonable solution.  Could you post Tim's photos please.  With his permission of course.
Jack

BP57CUSTOM

I would like to see a picture of that also.
Thanks
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor