News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rod & Main Bearings

Started by 57tudor, 2017-11-05 19:08

Previous topic - Next topic

57tudor

Here is one for you gear heads. I have used Clevite P-Series rod and main bearings in my Y-Blocks and in my current FE 427 for years with no issues. Over the years the price of these bearings has gone up in price like everything else. I see that King-AM series Bearing is becoming popular these days and has a lower cost. Clevite and King both say their bearings perform about the same with great strength, embedability for a verity of applications. What are your feelings between these two brands. I drive my Prostreet 57 Ford mostly to shows and an occasional street race. My 57 is running the FE 427 and within a few months I am going to do a mild stroker using the Scat 428 crank and JE pistons. Many thanks for your thoughts and feelings regarding these two brands.

Rick
57 Tudor
:unitedstates:

59meteor

On my FE engines, street and dedicated dragstrip duty, I have mainly used plain old Sealed Power/Clevite 77 bearings, including the  supposedly bad fully grooved main bearings with oil holes top & bottom, and never had a bearing related failure. My high 9 second 427 w 428 crank has em, and over the years, I have build several very low 10 second 428s with the same bearings. Typically I go  4 or 5 years between freshen ups, and the  cheapy bearings have always looked fine. I have just never felt the need to get into whiz bang bearings yet. I have used the same bearings on my old 74 F350 car haulers 390 when I first built it 27 years ago, numerous 428 CJ Mustangs and Fairlanes, and the recent 428 CJ thats now in my 59 2 door sedan.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I used Federal Mogul, only because Barry Rabotnick said he preferred them (and they came with the Scat rotating assembly, I think). I had no recent experience so I read up a little. I doubt there is much difference.

Lynn

hiball3985

I've seen the King bearings advertised but have never used them so I will follow this with interest. I've used Federal Mogul and Clevite for years with no problems..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang