News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ford 3.5 L V-6

Started by ROKuberski, 2017-11-05 23:02

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Has anyone considered using the Ford 3.5 L V-6?  I have one in my 2013 Explorer.

Specs - 2011?present Ford Explorer  290 hp @ 6500  255 lb?ft @ 4000

This is the non eco boost engine.

Rich

lalessi1

Sounds very interesting. I have been into V8s of late, that thought never crossed my mind. I would love to see that! Physical size? Oil pan? Lots to consider....
Lynn

ROKuberski

Yes indeed, lots to consider.  Not sure I want to be the first on something like this.  I was just thinking that perhaps it's small enough to not have clearance issues.  I did go to the Ron Francis wiring web site to see if they support it.  It's not on their list, but I haven't called to see if they would produce a wiring harness for it.  On eBay there is a complete engine with about 15k miles for about $1,250.  I'm pretty sure you would want to mate it with the original transmission.  My Explorer weighs about 800 pounds more than the Fairlane so the power should be plenty good.  It's also used in other vehicles.  It's hard to get around the engine, but I will try to get some measurements to determine a rough fit.

Ford Blue blood

The only issue is that HP figure is with the ECM running things.  Ford uses that pesky little thing called PATs.  That requires the ECM to be sent off for modifications.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big advocate of EFI engines.  There are just so many things that make them better then carb engines.  My 08 Shelby GT500 makes 502 RWHP and I can run the air while cruising and get 20 MPG on the road running 75 - 80.  I have asked the after market guys if they would make a lower EFI manifold for the 351C (same bore spacing as the 302) so a 302 HO upper could be bolted on and run.  NOPE has been the answer.

Bottom line is the after market guys will produce what there is a call for in sufficient numbers to make money!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

ROKuberski

Well, those kits won't work on the 3.5 L engine, but I suppose one would work on my 292 if it had a 4V intake manifold and I had a Holly 4150 carb, which I don't.

Rich

gasman826

Sorry...I was hijacking your topic to answer Blue Blood.

A year or so ago, I researched aftermarket support for a 4.6.  There was some spotty coverage of the OEM systems.  I did find a couple of companies that would do custom harnesses at a competitive price.  That project is way on the back burner right now.  When I get there again, I might consider tossing the engine if I can't find an affordable system that I have confidence.

Ford Blue blood

Rich there is no reason they shouldn't work on the 3.5.  The ECM don't much care about cu. in., it keeps all the parameters (air flow, temps, throttle position, fuel pressure, etc.) and adjust gas flow duration to keep exhaust O2 in order.

Gary I've been looking at those systems for a couple of years now.  Three guys I know here are not happy with what they have but by the same token one has it and is very happy.  I do not know the details of the build but all three are ready to go back to carbs.  I will snag one of theirs if any of them go back to carbs!

I want the Ford HO setup because it really does know how to "learn" and run well over a wide range of engine specifications.  Parts are supported, readily available, and there is no "magic" in the ECM and no PATS to mess with.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

farquharson

I will be attempting a 3.7 swap out of a 2011 mustang with the 6 speed auto in to a 1957 ranchero, have purchased the cars and will be starting mid December.

ROKuberski

I'm not sure what a 3.7 is.  It is a fuel injected V-6?  I know that Ron Francis does not have a wiring harness for the 3.5 V6 engine.  I know that getting the wiring harness done properly is very important to having everything working the way it is supposed to.

Rich

farquharson

Its a 3.7 v6 fuel injected 305 hp 280 lbs torque production 2011 to date basically the same as a 3.5 exhaust manifolds are different can put twin turbos off a 3.5 with adapters or  pro-charger to get over 400 hp. My intentions are to get it in a running before changing anything.