News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Questions about '57 Staion Wagon Tail Gate Key Lock

Started by KYBlueOval, 2017-11-23 07:08

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'd like to find out if the Station Wagon tail gate Key Lock is unique to the Station Wagons or is is the same Key Lock as used on  some other model '57s .........2 doors......4 doors  ? If so, what models etc.?
If it is a Station Wagon only part, does any one on the Forum have this Key Lock and any unique parts required to install it, that they would sell?
Thanks
John

dgasman

57 wagon only , even the 58 wagon lock is different
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

djfordmanjack

Look at this John! A little rough, but it's right there ! :003:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fomoco-Ford-Meteor-57-58-station-wagon-2-door-rear-door-lock/251278630386?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49478%26meid%3D7a67ae0b2de4454bbbb7b26e5cd0c2db%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D263245413652&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219

If you put a lock cylinder in there, you should know that ONLY in a wagon , one key ( round) locks ALL doors, glove compartment AND tailgate. Only the ignition key ( square) is different.

All other models (sedans, cpes....) have a seperate key for trunk and glove compartment.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-11-23 15:29
Look at this John! A little rough, but it's right there ! :003:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fomoco-Ford-Meteor-57-58-station-wagon-2-door-rear-door-lock/251278630386?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49478%26meid%3D7a67ae0b2de4454bbbb7b26e5cd0c2db%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D263245413652&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219

If you put a lock cylinder in there, you should know that ONLY in a wagon , one key ( round) locks ALL doors, glove compartment AND tailgate. Only the ignition key ( square) is different.

All other models (sedans, cpes....) have a seperate key for trunk and glove compartment.

Thanks. So now I understand that the Tailgate Lock Assembly is different for '57's and '58's. Is the Chrome Housing with the swing away cover the same for both '57' and '58's and the difference being the actual lock assembly (tumblers etc. ) ? Or are there other differences?
Let me tell you what I'm thinking about doing. If you saw the stunning two door wagon that was shown at the SEMA show in Las Vegas, the tailgate handle ,that one would lift, to unlock the tailgate was eliminated and the description given in the video by the builder ,was that the tailgate was now unlocked by a solenoid activated by the Key Lock Assembly. I'd like to that same thing to the Ranchero I'm building. So I need to acquire such a Lock Assembly in order to see if I can make this change. Having a separate key for the tailgate does not bother me, if that is what is required to make it work.  What year Lock Assembly should I be looking for? '57 or '58? Or will either one work? What about a '59 ?
Thanks
John
John

Hoosier Hurricane

Why do you want a key lock on a Ranchero?  Are you eliminating the original pull handle?  Are you only trying to fill the key lock hole?  If you are smoothing the tailgate, a door lock aftermarket solenoid kit should be adaptable.  Maybe a solenoid from a late model power door lock car.  All you need to do is electrically pull the mechanism that unlatches the tailgate.   John

RICH MUISE

John, a little off topic, but I replied to the pm you sent me last week, just a few hours after you sent it. Never heard anything back. Me and the women are leaving for OKC in an hour or so, will be back late Saturday. Let me know if you didn't get my phone number.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

To KY John. This aint gonna work, because all of the orginal gate latch assembly is related to and activated by the handle itself, and the actual tailgate lock only DISABLES the latch mechanism.  The og 57 tail gate lock does nothing to actually open the latch, like a normal trunk lock would. you would have to build something from scratch, that links the lock cylinder with the actual latch mechanism, when you want to ommit the actual handle. as HH wrote, a remote solenoid kit might be the faster way to do that. When I shaved the handle on my old 57SD Courier for the next owner, I did put a solenoid kit in there ( although different latch as a wagon), AND I used bowden wire to fabricate a cable operated mechanical release at B pillar.
I think the best way to work on a Ranchero, shaving the handle, would be use a cable attached to the og latch and run that additional cable up front to the drivers cab/behind rear seat. If you are not runnung a tonneau cover, you can easily run a handle/lever inside the cargo area.
Guenter

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2017-11-24 07:56
John, a little off topic, but I replied to the pm you sent me last week, just a few hours after you sent it. Never heard anything back. Me and the women are leaving for OKC in an hour or so, will be back late Saturday. Let me know if you didn't get my phone number.
Rich
Rich, I got your message. I'll be in touch next week. I have your 'phone number. Life got in the way sir.
John

KYBlueOval

John and Guenter.......Thanks for your interest and reply. After looking at the video of the Ranch Wagon in the ARP Bolt booth at SEMA, I decided I'd like to do basically the same thing to my Ranchero tailgate. I just went back and looked at the video again. In the video the builder says they moved the lock assembly higher on the tailgate, (looks like it is in about the same location as where the handle was located) and that  the key lock now activates a solenoid that releases the tailgate.
Not having a Tailgate Lock assembly and wanting to do this change, I need a tailgate Key Lock Assembly, and do not know if I want a '57 or '58 or '59 Key Lock Assembly. I know where there is a '59 Tailgate, as well as a '57 that can give up the Key Lock Assembly and any other parts that might be needed, but the '57 Chrome portion is really rough. Thus I was trying to find out what the differences are, if any, among the 3 years without buying all 3. My guesstimate is that any of the three years could be used, as it will have to be modified to activate the solenoid.
I'm of the belief that I would need to standing right there at the tailgate when the solenoid is activated as the tailgate has some weight to it, and I believe that I would need to activate the solenoid and pull on the tailgate simultaneously or it will re-lock when the solenoid is deactivated by a remote cable or switch.
I welcome your advise, comments........I'm not thin skinned!I take direction well, regardless of what my wife says!
I've thought about calling the guy in the video that built the car and find out what he can tell me about how it was put together.
Thanks John

dgasman

The Chrome part is different on the 57 (it's larger) than the 58 (smaller) . I do have both and if I find them I will post a pic . The wagon in the arp booth is a member of this group , I sold him a select air vent for his wagon . I think his screen name is arp bob , or bob arp?
I have know idea about a 59 wagon lock but I think it's in the handle .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

gasman826

Since it is going to be custom, why sweat the details about having an authentic, '57 tailgate lock.  There are plenty of flush mounting door locks out there that are readily available.  Find a lock that is NOS or reproduction or at least stainless that also has an available gasket.  Almost any '57 Wagon lock you find will need restoration and good luck finding a gasket.  I would consider finding a later model gasket and the lock to match.  I might consider browsing around in the local wrecking yard to find something I like and take the sheet metal and all.  If you are going to put the lock where the tailgate handle was, you'll need a patch panel so why not use the donor panel to patch your tailgate and NOT have to create a special hole to match the new lock.  Make life easier!!

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-11-24 16:55
Since it is going to be custom, why sweat the details about having an authentic, '57 tailgate lock.  There are plenty of flush mounting door locks out there that are readily available.  Find a lock that is NOS or reproduction or at least stainless that also has an available gasket.  Almost any '57 Wagon lock you find will need restoration and good luck finding a gasket.  I would consider finding a later model gasket and the lock to match.  I might consider browsing around in the local wrecking yard to find something I like and take the sheet metal and all.  If you are going to put the lock where the tailgate handle was, you'll need a patch panel so why not use the donor panel to patch your tailgate and NOT have to create a special hole to match the new lock.  Make life easier!!
Gary, that's a very good idea sir. My reason for pursuing an original Lock Assembly was driven by my thinking that an original would be the easiest to adapt/install. But your thinking makes a lot of sense.
On another subject..........I told you months ago that when I got back to an old junk yard in Indiana, I'd look for a tailpan for you. I was there Wednesday and the tail pan ,on a '57 wagon, is very very rotten. Will a '59 tailpan work? I'm going to another Indiana yard on Tuesday and there is a '59 Ranchero and a '59 Wagon.
John

djfordmanjack

John , did you remember to check the roof skin and drip rails on the 57 wgn in the junkyard?
concerning your problem of unlatching and relocking of your tailgate, you need to use 'door poppers' as with solenoid opened  front doors. nothing more than a spring loaded device that 'pops' your doors ( gate) open an inch or so. Easily available and adapted to rear opening.
Gary's idea of getting a donor lock w/ oem panel is great. that og 57 handle sure leaves a huge ugly hole when removed !

gasman826

KYBlueOval

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-11-25 04:46
John , did you remember to check the roof skin and drip rails on the 57 wgn in the junkyard?
concerning your problem of unlatching and relocking of your tailgate, you need to use 'door poppers' as with solenoid opened  front doors. nothing more than a spring loaded device that 'pops' your doors ( gate) open an inch or so. Easily available and adapted to rear opening.
Gary's idea of getting a donor lock w/ oem panel is great. that og 57 handle sure leaves a huge ugly hole when removed !
Guenter, I'm familiar with door poppers, but didn't think they would work on the tailgate.  I'll give it another look. As to hole with the handle removed, filling that hole will not be a problem.
As to the '57 wagon roof and drip rails.........no I did not look at that but I will. If there is time next Tuesday, I'll get by that location and take photos if it looks promising. If not next Tuesday, it will be in a week or so.
John