News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Y block 292 head bolts

Started by chapingo17, 2017-12-01 12:39

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I'm in the process of replacing a broken bolt on a head of a y block 292 and while I'm there I want to replace all head bolts to eliminate future problems. Does anyone know were can I buy new head bolts?

lalessi1

Lynn

chapingo17

Ok, I called barn hill bolt and told me they have the right grade but on 4.0",4.5",2.5". Could I get away with adding washers to match acquired length? The original bolts are 4.32", 4.06" and 2.13" long. Would I have enough clearance?

lalessi1

I do not have a clue, sorry. I wouldn't have an issue reusing the original bolts for a rebuild personally. Performance upgrade is another issue. I really can't imagine bolt clearance issues either, my experience is that generally engine blocks are tapped a little deeper.... they can take a "SLIGHTY" longer bolt. Not a Y-block guy either.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Marc

I've read that the factory grade 6 bolts are prone to excessive stretching, so if that's what you have it would be a good idea to buy new. The ARP bolts aren't cheap but the way I look at it, its better than having problems later due to old hardware.

chapingo17

Where can I buy arp bolts?

Marc

John Mummert's got 'em, see the link in Lynn's post above.

chapingo17

Thanks. Would there be any other place I could find these type of bolts?

gasman826

Lou

ARP sure likes their mark-up, try these people https://www.nutty.com/

chapingo17

chapingo17

Has anyone rebuilt a y block and used the same head bolts?

SkylinerRon

The problem is you don't know how many times they have been torqued in the last 50 years.

Bolts need to stretch to maintain torque and not be over stretched by multiple tightenings.

Goodluck,

Ron.