News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

bear claw door latches on a custom

Started by redshoes57, 2017-12-02 18:45

Previous topic - Next topic

redshoes57

Has anyone installed bear claw latches on a 57 Ford Custom?

Ecode70D

Is that something that would require cutting into the 57 Ford sheet metal and altering the door panels? I hope not.   If it is, maybe you should give it some serious thought.

If you are missing your door mechanisms, I sure that someone on the site has some spare parts that could help you out.  You could always put an ad in the wanted section.

rmk57

Those seem to be more suited for kit cars or street rods, something like a Model a. I agree about trying to find oem parts for replacement or take a look at something else
from the Ford lineup that could be made to work.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Quote from: rmk57 on 2017-12-03 10:33
Those seem to be more suited for kit cars or street rods, something like a Model a. I agree about trying to find oem parts for replacement or take a look at something else
from the Ford lineup that could be made to work.

Randy
    I think that you are correct.  Seems like I heard of people putting them on the early Tupperware cars also

Redshoes
    What parts are you missing?  Would 1959 door parts fit?  I might be able to help you out. 

RICH MUISE

I'm of the understanding Bear Claws are often used on later model cars (aside from 20's and 30's hot rods) whenever there is a design problem with the oems. My buddy was looking at installing a set into a late 50's Rambler wagon just yesterday. It didn't work out on that application bacause there were window channels or other components where the latches would have needed to go. Also see on vehicles like the long bed Unibody pickups where the body can flex enough for the doors to pop open.
With that said, properly adjusted '57 latches have the built in double catch, so not necessary on our cars. just mho
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

x2 what others said. bearclaws are usually used in kit cars or 1930s model cars, where oem latches were flimsy and a door could fly open while the body twists in turns or steep inclines. the 57 latches were ahead of their time and feature all the safety aspects necessary. I know that the star wheel can come loose in very worn latches but those have to be replaced or repaired anyways. good used replacement can still be found online.

BP57CUSTOM

I saw some on Ebay yesterday ,I think they were nos ,or maybe nors? I don't recall the price.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

gasman826

Don't overlook the rear latch assemblies from the fordor models.  Same latch, usually less wear and much cheaper!!

Ecode70D

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-12-04 07:47
Don't overlook the rear latch assemblies from the fordor models.  Same latch, usually less wear and much cheaper!!

Gary
That's right .    l have used rears in the passed.also.
Will  59 door latches fit the 57's also?

gasman826

don't know...have to look that one up.

suede57ford

"59 front latches can work.  It's not a drop in, as the arm that the handle push button presses is at a slightly different angle.   You may need to rework the arm top match the '57 style or change the length of the rod that comes out of the door handle and pushes the arm.  Seem the '59,s have feature where the door can be closed with the door lock down like a modern car.

I modify the original '57 latches by removing a little off the stop that unlocks the door when closing so that the door lock can be pushed down and the door closed without the latch unlocking itself.  It's a nice modification, as you and your passenger can get out, push the door lock knob down, close the door and it will stay locked.  No more reaching over or having to use the key to lock it.

The '55-56 car and 55-57 T-Bird latch is really easy to modify to allow closing the doors with the lock down.  Just have to trim on little ear in the latch and they work well.

I would not try to convert to BearClaws as it requires a lot of modifications for a system that works well from the factory if in good shape.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

59meteor

I don`t know anything about 1959 Ford door latches interchanging with a 57, but on my 59 2 door sedan, you  can not close the doors with the lock button pushed down, it will pop up if you try. Nor can you push the lock button down, and depress the outside door handle knob, it will be solid. Considering how many times over the years that I have accidently locked my keys inside a vehicle, that is a feature that I have no plans to change!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

redshoes57

Thanks guys for all the information. I have not been on hear for 4 days.Since that time we have installed after market bear claw latches.  The biggest issue was getting the actuating cable on the other side of the window. We accomplished this by routing the cable thru bendable tubing to the new after market aluminum door handles. This car is being built as you would a street rod. It has a 351W, AOD 350 Posi, r&p steering, Granada disc, specialty wipers,Griffin rad and what else   I through in there. PS apparently I like to torture myself. I may need an igniton switch spacer, I 
have not  found mine yet. Thanks again