News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Neutral Safety Switch Replacement

Started by lewgar, 2017-12-08 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

lewgar

I'd like to replace the neutral safety switch on my '57 Ford Fairlane 500 with a 1958 switch so that I can start the car in Park. Can anyone tell me if this is a simple re and re and whether there are any "alerts" in doing this? Thanks from a newbie....garth

ragtop

your switch must be out of adjustment all the 57s I have had could start in park only my 57 Lincoln  had to start in neutral and had to put a kit in it to start in park and I have had 15+ 57 fords with auto trans in them and have 2 now

Contibob

All 57's started in neutral if still as equipped from factory. I have 6 of them currently, as well as a 57 Bird and a 57 Continental. all start in neutral. Have had other 57's starting in 1970 all started in neutral. There sell a switch that will allow it to start in park. As for what needs to be done to change over I have no idea, I have no problem starting them in park.

SkylinerRon

X2  Lots of 57's got converted.

Ron.

lewgar

59meteor

I don`t know if its a direct replacement, but my 59 would start in either Park or Neutral (2 speed FordOMatic). It is a small, round  plastic switch that is attatched with 2 screws, at the bottom of the steering columns shift tube.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rmk57

Mine starts only in neutral to. I have two spade connectors, one male, one female, but also have two bullet connectors on it to. Not sure what they would be for, backup lights maybe? Since I have a c6 in it now I'd like to try and use the style that bolts onto the transmission, another project.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

The side of the transmission switches are the best.  Once adjusted, transmission and switch are always in sync no matter what the linkage or column is doing.  Unfortunately, be prepared to remove the valve body to install the switch.

cokefirst

the 58 switch works fine and it will start in both park and neutral!!
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

rmk57

The 58 NSS looks to be identical to the 57 so they must have changed the insides to have it start in park to. Nice idea, now you can have your pride and joy slip into reverse while unattended like other Fords from the era.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

John Palmer

Quote from: rmk57 on 2017-12-13 10:02
Nice idea, now you can have your pride and joy slip into reverse while unattended like other Fords from the era.

Yup!, X2

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: rmk57 on 2017-12-13 10:02
The 58 NSS looks to be identical to the 57 so they must have changed the insides to have it start in park to. Nice idea, now you can have your pride and joy slip into reverse while unattended like other Fords from the era.

Yup X3!!!!!!!Friend in NH had that exact same thing happen.  Car was on his 4 post, drivers door open, reached in to start it, fired, hand hit the shifter, car rolled back pinning him between the post and the door.  He spent most of the day there, wife was at work.  Car ran out of gas and he was able to "get out".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ecode70D

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-12-14 06:24
Yup X3!!!!!!!Friend in NH had open, reached in to start it, fired, hand hit the shifter, car rolled back pinning him between the post and the door.  He spent most of the day there, wife was at work.  Car ran out of gas and he was able to "get out".

YIKES
     That's     That's horrible.   

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2017-12-14 12:03

YIKES
     That's     That's horrible.   
Jay thats something we will never have to worry about  :002:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

If I give my shift lever a tug I can get it to pop into reverse without pulling it back first. Part of the problem is the C6 transmission linkage/ detents working against the column shift plate. The NSS works somewhere between neutral and reverse on the column indicator, but it does work.  I'm used to it and I'm the only one who drives the car anyway.
I may try lengthening or shortening the lever on the trans to get it more in sync.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429