News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

clutches

Started by rixxwagon, 2017-12-16 18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

rixxwagon

hi there I joined this site a few months back, been doing lots of reading and most of my questions answered.But I do have one for now
I have a 57 country sedan wagon 292 v8 3 speed manual,  The question I have is I have a ten inch clutch disc I am changing the trans to a 3.03
tranny, I have a truck flywheel here for a 11 inch clutch can I use this set up with the original bell housing with out any clearance issues

thanks Rick

59meteor

Do you know if the 11" flywheel is the same diameter is the same diameter as the 10" unit? If so, I would think the 11" flywheel SHOULD fit, if not, you would need a bellhousing for the 11" flywheel. That said, many years ago, I swapped out the factory 3 speed trans in my 57 Custom, with a 272 Y Block, installing a 3.03 3 speed Toploader. I seem to recall it bolted right up to the factory bellhousing, even  retained the same clutch assembly (10 spline). I don`t recall the vehicle that the 3 speed Toploader came from. In addition to being much stronger than the 57 trans, having a syncronized first gear was much nicer as well. I can`t remember what was needed to secure the Toploader , but it was probably pretty similar to what I did when I installed a 4 speed Toploader and 428 into my 59 2 door sedan earlier this year. I retainer the factory rubber pad, and cut and welded the U shaped retaining strap so that it would bolt up to the transmissions trans mount holes.  I then ground the sides of the rubber mount enough that the modified U strap would fit around the rubber.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rixxwagon

the bell housing is my main concern once I get the old trans out I will be able to measure the two.
I also live in surrey so I am local

thanks Rick

hiball3985

This will be interesting to find out about. I was going to test this set up but I didn't have time as I needed to get the engine back in while I had a short amount of time to do it. The truck bellhousing is a little deeper then the passenger car so I wasn't sure if the 11" pressure plate would have enough clearance inside.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rixxwagon

we will know by the end of winter if everything goes right

hiball3985

Just as a note, the 11" flywheel from the truck should work but you can't use a truck pressure plate  it will have to be one for a car or possibly a later then 64 truck or aftermarket..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rixxwagon

that's good to know I have a old pressure plate from a 80's ford pick up that I will measure up unfortunately it has a
different bolt pattern than the fly wheel but it should give an idea of the depth.

thanks