News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bob Glidden

Started by rmk57, 2017-12-16 19:09

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Word has it that he died today. If there ever was a Ford racer he was it, the best of the best................

Apparently he is in the hospital and not deceased..... good news.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

junior58

He has passed away
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

59meteor

Yes, unfortunately, Bob Glidden died a few days ago. Although I saw him race ( and win!) many times since the late 70s, and he won 10 NHRA Chamionships in Pro Stock (9 of those in Fords), I only actually only talked with him a couple of times, and he was such a down to earth, loyal Ford racer, who seemed to really appreciate all his fans. I have a couple of his autographs, one on a photo that my wife took of Bob & I talking together at the Orlando Fla airport when we flew to the 1994 Gatornationals. She unknown to me, had a 8x10 enlargement  of the photo made, and had him sign it later that year at the Seattle WA race. Both signatures say "Thank You, Bob Glidden". These days, most professional racers have a sign that say they will be signing autographs from, say 1.00 PM until 2.00 PM, and thats it. Even though Glidden had a small, mostly family crew, and did a lot of the work himself, he was well known for stopping work to sign an autograph, and would keep signing until everybody that wanted one, got one. Despite all his racing sucsess, he was always a humble man who often downplayed much of his achievements. RIP Bob, he was a true legend.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.