News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Panel Bond thread

Started by RICH MUISE, 2017-12-27 10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Just a head's up...don't miss the great write up Pat Fleishman did in the tech section on using panel bond adesive in the driprails.
Thanks again, Pat.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

John Palmer

Rich, thanks for the heads up. 

Pat, It was a very informative read.

RICH MUISE

Local pricing is 47.50 incl tax, for the 8115, so I ordered one from Ebay.  $33. total incl shipping.

suede57ford

You can get 3m 08115 at most autoparts stores that carry paint supplies.  If they don't have it in stock they can usually get it pretty quick.   All your Automotive Paint stores stock it.   For the applicator gun the 8571 is an economy gun and the 8117 is the fancy one.   Often many people will borrow a gun from a friend in the bodyshop business.  I like having a an applicator around as I use panel bond on something nearly every week on some type of home, auto, or shop repair.  It's just a great glue to have around.  it works on most any material from, steel, plastic, aluminum, fiberglass, to wood.

Shelf life on a tube is a year.  Make sure and keep plenty of the 3M 8193 nozzles(bags of 6) around as you will use the glue more than you can imagine once you start fixing things with it.

At Coffee and Car's at Cook's Garage this morning I noticed a guy carrying an 8571 Applicator gun around.  He was borrowing it from another car buddy to glue some metal letters to a tailgate on his project.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

djfordmanjack

we can get 8115 here in Europe. it is very expensive, 2.5x US price. I will check with professional paint and wholesale shops. In addition to Pat's pro tips I have been hearing good things about it. when time comes to repair my Del Rio Driprails this will be the way to go.

RICH MUISE

Pat, you have two similar numbers posted above for the economy gun. Is it 5871 or 8571?
cancel that.it's 8571.        yikes, 65ish for the applicator.

suede57ford

Thanks Rich.  I edited the typo.

The tool(applicator) and adhesive may seem expensive initially, but nearly everything I have fixed or created is worth more to me than the cost of the product/tool. 
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Pat.a few more questions...........how hard is this stuff to remove from an area like the drip rails should the need arise? As posted in my build thread, I started cleaning out the drip rails and discovered I had in fact epoxy primed before the seam sealer, as it should have been, but it was the primer that was having the adhesion problem. The seam sealer I had used was performing wonderfully.
It's been very difficult cleaning out all the seam sealer, which got me to thinking about if that would even be posible had I used the panel bond? Can that stuff be removed if necessary in a reasonable manor?

suede57ford

If it was panel bond it will be dark gray/black in color and very rigid.   It can be sanded, which is a great feature, but i would rate the sanding harder than say body filler.   If you were needing to remove some or excess it can be grinded or sanded away.

Rich, look closely at the primer to see if it was epoxy or acid etch.  If it was etch seem sealers/fillers will not adhere to an etch.   If sealing the bare metal always use a 2 part epoxy and never use an etch or any primer in a spray(1K) can.

I was in your area yesterday.  If needed I can stop by and take a look when I'm there.
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

That would be great, Pat. 806-341-20 three six. House with the red roof on the traffic circle (directly behind Texas Autobody). Or just stop by.....if my white Outback is there, I probably am as well.