News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trip home

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2018-01-03 09:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Did our usual trip to WI to be with family during Christmas.  Trip home was a real treat.  Even delayed return a day to try and avoid the weather.  All of this thanks to central IL!

Our stop over in Nashville to celebrate the New Year, could not find an open car wash, they were all frozen!  Got back to Birmingham and got it cleaned up.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

think about it that way....others have to drive to Bonneville a thousand miles or more to get that thick a layer of salt ON their cars... :003:

Ford Blue blood

Bonneville is on my bucket list, don't think this will check it off.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

gasman826

x2 on the Speed Week bucket list thing

Couple of years ago, we were coming back from NOLA via I65 north of Birmingham.  We over-nighted just south of the Tennessee River.  It was two days after a big winter storm.  The plaza was deserted and all but one restaurant were closed.  The motel's upper rooms were closed due to ice on the exterior stairs.  Rather than sleep in the car, we said we would brave the icy steps.  Once we assured them we were from Michigan and dealt with more ice than this all winter, they assigned us a room.  Next morning at breakfest, everyone was all abuzz about the past storm and current road conditions.  A DOT spokesperson was on the TV and was asked what was the plan.  The answer:  "Well, we're thinkin' the sun will come out."   Being from the north, I scoffed at the TV.  After all, it had be more than 48 hours and IT IS AN INTERSTATE!  One couple was headed north and decided to stay another day...they also offered prayers as we left.  As we eased out the parking lot and down the ramp onto I65, I saw a temporary, lighted highway sign warning of right lane only.  The lanes were wet but within a couple of miles only the right lane was clear...the left lane had 2" of ice.  Further north, the Tennessee River causeway had 6" of ice!!!!!!  State troopers were diverting traffic (what little there was).  A trooper asked our destination, Michigan was our answer.  He let us proceed with caution.  An experience I'll never forget.  If a MDOT spokesperson told Michiganders to wait for the sun to come out, they would be fired before the sun went down!!

Jeff Norwell

Man.... Reminds me of grabbing that Parts car in Iowa a year or so back.....
We took off, Sunny and Bright.
Crossing into Port Huron and starting in Michigan...Sunny and Bright...
Halfway thru Michigan.MASSIVE snowstorm Develops.....
Michigan,Indiana,Illinois and Iowa..The Witch of December was really beating us up.....
Somewhere on I-80 near or just after Davenport.... Traffic comes to a standstill because of a huge traffic accident Pile-up....
We stood still for about 4-5 hours and were down to 6 gallons of fuel ...Hauling a 24 footer enclosed as well(still snowing to beat the band)
Finally made it to Cedar Rapids-11:00 pm at night..... Still snowing.
Next day. go and get the car.... Frozen solid in the gentlemans back yard...4 hours later with chains,shovels and picks .. we hauled it free and dragged it to the trailer.
Started snowing again.
Back home we went...... thru the Witch of December.
We were suppose to meet up with Gary(Gasman) but we just plumb ran out of time.

Road Trips..... Looking back..... It was AWESOME!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

Bonneville is definitely on my list... but it's a 3-4 hard drive one way..... My wife will not go..... no outlet malls hahahaha
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Gary your experience is funny!  Born and raised in WI I find the "bread, beer, and milk" mentality here humorous!  First warning of snow/ice the place goes crazy.  But in fairness the snow and ice events here are so rare that having the equipment to move the stuff is cost prohibitive.

My first experience here was driving into work on a "snow day" to assess road conditions so the boss could make a determination as to open the museum late/not at all and inform employees if they were required to report to work.  On the way in encountered icy and slushy road.  Had a car blast past me only to watch the tail/head/tail/head light dance, waved as I passed him.  Got to the rail road over pass and learned I was "no longer in Kansas"!  On the over pass were two guys on the back of a public works truck shoveling sand on to the road way.  Just had to smile and move on. 

My main concern driving here is all the "crazies" that think their 4X4 will make them bullet proof in the stuff.  No way to avoid them other then staying home and enjoy the bread and beer!:<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero