News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Man It's Cold!

Started by lalessi1, 2018-01-03 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I know it is not REALLY cold here but we have had a few days where the temps didn't get out of the 30's in the day and the low 20's at night. I woke up in the middle of the night worried about the '57, (no antifreeze)! Well I started the car up yesterday to find the water pump frozen up, it wouldn't turn...poured hot water on it and freed it up. Next I noticed the radiator was completely frozen so I ran the car for a while, even the rear needle and seat in the carb wasn't working right. The water temp got to 200 and the electric fan wouldn't cut on because the thermocouple in the radiator was still in ice. I over rode the thermostat on the fan and the ice finally melted in the radiator! After running the engine a bit the carb finally straightened out... no leaks anywhere, so I think I dodged a bullet. This was the first time I have ever experience stuff freezing in any car here in south Louisiana. BTW I did put antifreeze in the car! :003:
Lynn

gasman826

Very lucky!  Besides freeze protection, coolant is an anti-corrosive/rust and raises the boiling point for next summer driving.

Jeff Norwell

Cold Snap still here..and this weekend coming at night.... -19-22 Below..... that ain't metric.
Tons of snow on the way too!..Thank god for my John Deere!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

You were very lucky, Lynn !
Think about freeze cracking the engine block ....ouch...that would have been nasty.

20 below Jeff ? that's cooooold..... brrrr.....

junior58

Sorry to gloat but we're 28 degrees here (but that's Celsius). Middle of summer.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

RICH MUISE

Yeah, go figure, Lynn. Yesterday and today I was up in the mountains Colorado. Today I was  walking around a salvage yard for two hours.....in just a shirt. 52 degrees when I left there for home. No snow anywhere in the mountains to be seen.......at least that I saw along the eastern range of the Rockies. Very unusual.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

thomasso

Only 75 in Mesa AZ today.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, Chilly in Florida to. Hope this brings a little warmth.

Ford Blue blood

19 on my thermometer this morning in Birmingham.  Left WI on 31st it was -12,stayed below freezing all the way to here with a lay over in Nashville.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Quote from: glenmichael on 2018-01-04 07:35
Hello Everyone, Chilly in Florida to. Hope this brings a little warmth.

Good to hear from you and see your '57 in Florida.  Great picture...except there's no tire smoke.

glenmichael

Hello Gary, I had to try that posi-unit, layed down 25feet of rubber, scared some old lady and the park I live in said (NO MORE!!)  I'll be back to Mi. in July-August, maybe Woody and I can visit your 57, I'd love that!

gasman826

Look forward to see you guys next summer if not sooner.  Too cold to go anywhere except to shuffle out to the shop.  There is something said about 'not crapping where you eat'.  Go a couple of blocks from your condo before testing.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: glenmichael on 2018-01-04 13:27
I'll be back to Mi. in July-August, maybe Woody and I can visit your 57, I'd love that!

Going to try and catch both days of summer.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Contibob

Hate to say it guys, it was a nice cool 72 degrees out at my garage in east San Diego today. Bob

SkylinerRon

12 degrees in Washington DC area, going down to 0 tonight.

This global warming is melting me!

Ron.