News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My '57 Ranchero build in pictures

Started by dmkberger, 2018-01-07 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

dmkberger

Today I am starting my Ranchero build progress in pictures. This is what I started with. I was building a 1951 Plymouth Concord complete with the '72 Dodge Dart firewall and drive train out of the same Dart. I used the factory A/C and the 904 trans and the rear axle out of the Dart, a four door Dart to those who see cutting up one of those as sacrilege. I had a brand new 360 crate motor with aluminum intake and all of the goodies when a buddy of mine says he wants to trade for his '57 Ranchero. The Ranchero barely ran, although it was supposed to be a brand new 390. The Ranchero was being Rat Rodded! Who would Rat Rod a '57 Ranchero?
Turns out the guy was building the car for his wife who had recently run off with another man. So, he did NOT want the car anymore and I figured my '51 Plymouth Gold Plated would not be worth what the Ranchero was so I traded him. Then I found out the floors were butchered, the 390 was brand new fifteen years ago and there was a carrier bearing on the drive shaft that was two inches off of center, then I looked at the front suspension with all of the bushings bulging out or completely gone. The battery and wiring came from behind the passenger seat, there was no carpet or floor covering of any kind, the seat was out of a Torino so it was two and a half inches short on both sides. I have it torn down to nothing right now and I am starting the process of repairing or replacing the damaged metal work. It will LIVE AGAIN!
Take offs are optional, Landings are mandatory.

dmkberger

More of the same.. This is much more recent and I am working on the front frame cleaning and repairing where the car had been hit on the passenger side.

hiball3985

Great! Looking forward to following the build.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

dmkberger

Here's the cardboard cutout that I used as a pattern to make the bump stop. I know when the car is back together that no one could ever see this was missing without being up under the car really close. But I want it to be what Henry built. So, we march on from here....

dmkberger

Here's the finished bump stop. Not as easy as it looks.

dmkberger

Sure wish I could post more than two pictures at a time! Here is the bump stop welded to the frame.

dmkberger

Now we move on to the floors... What a nightmare!

dmkberger

It seems critters can get in to almost anywhere. To think some critter got a taste for these seeds and managed to get them into this tiny little spot inside one of the cross braces attached to what was left of the floor is amazing.

dmkberger

Passenger side floor nearing completion and the drivers side just getting underway.

dmkberger

Both floors coming to an end. There's still a lot of welding underneath, with hot stuff raining down on you like crazy. That's what I love about welding over head! Fun fun fun till daddy takes the T Bird away!

dmkberger

Here we took a break from the floors to make the '95 Lincoln Mark VIII wiring pass through in the firewall. I have pictures of the engine being fitted, I'll post 'em next.

dmkberger

Here's drivers side exhaust manifold fitment. Because I can't do more than one picture this is done for the day!
One day this will all be over and it will just seem like a little nightmare from the past!

gasman826

originally a factory dual exhaust car

RICH MUISE

Gary.If you're refering to the heat shields, my oem 6cyl. has them both sides.
Nice to see another one brought back to life. Nice job, and very nice to watch another build thread.......especially if it's gonna get a 4.6 imho !!
btw, check the post you did in the "picture testing area". I explained how to resize your pics so you can post 4.

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

dmkberger

Here's a look at the passenger side exhaust manifold. What a big difference in cubic inches!!!