News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My '57 Ranchero build in pictures

Started by dmkberger, 2018-01-07 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

dmkberger

Rich and Gasman, I am very grateful for the help you've offered so far on my build. It took forever to get into this forum, so I used to just read different builds and I read a LOT about the both of your builds. I can't thank you enough. I'm off to the machine shop to retrieve my upper control arm. I had to have bushings pressed in yesterday. This is for my Subhuman, a man needs a truck and this is what I chose as my truck. My press is broke and I'm now dependent on my local machine shop till I get my press fixed...
I have SO many questions for you guys and anyone else who may be "listening" in on this thread.
One day I hope to have my Ranchero look like this picture. Resto Modded of course.
Take offs are optional, Landings are mandatory.

RICH MUISE

Bummer it took ya so long to join the club, glad you hung in there though! That is a good looking Ranchero you want to emulate....Your off to a good start. It's good to have some inspiration. Bob Burgdoff's 300 was mine from the time I saw it on the cover of Street Rodder.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

dmkberger

Well, I am back, I've been sick... REALLY sick. Having to deal with Chemotherapy on a daily basis is bad enough, then you throw in the diseases the snowbirds bring to town with my immune system all beat up and let me tell ya, I get sick every time the wind blows in the winter....
So, I was able to get back in the shop for a while today and I got the top of the floors finished and the steering column partially mocked up. I have to finish the welds up top and do not yet have  my rack and pinion to set the bottom of the column. But progress is progress!

dmkberger

More of the progress today

dmkberger

Trying to get more than two pictures per post...

dmkberger

Well my new printer makes a BIG difference in sizing photos for this thread and others!
Finally got it figured out!!!

terry_208

Sorry to hear you've been so ill.  You've got a lot accomplished.  Is the body sitting on the frame.  How did you square your body to the frame and put the mounting holes in the right places?
Terry

dmkberger

Thanks for the sentiment, but hey everybody's got something wrong with them. I was just lucky enough to have had two strokes and a touch of Leukemia and some Diabetes thrown in for good measure. It is what it is and you move on when you can....
The body is still on the frame. I have an original frame dimensions chart. I have drilled up through the existing body mounts for placement of the mount hardware inside the cab. I am using the OEM mounting holes for the forward mounts and the mounts rear of the three in the cab on each side
I have yet to lift the body to replace the body mounts. I have taken most all of the measurements and the frame is very near square, within a sixteenth of an inch. I have to go from the rear body mounts to the frame to see if the body is square. I am open to any suggestions for squaring the whole mess. Since this was destined to be a "Rat Rod" I am sure there are things I have not caught yet.
I have a full body mount kit that will be put into place very soon, so don't be afraid to tell me what you think about squaring, Please!

dmkberger

I have to brag a bit today. Yesterday I was lucky enough to run into a guy with three pieces I was desperately trying to find for over two years.
They are the inner wheel well molding inside the bed, both sides. Mine are rusted on both ends and these have only surface rust.
Then the left rear panel to access the tail light etc., mine was cut in two and had a piano hinge welded in.
I will get a picture of that along with an "explanation" of why someone would do such a thing...
The best part, $20.00 for all three pieces!!!!!!!!
The wood wheel belongs to my '29 REO Flying Cloud Brougham 2 door sedan.
Juice brakes at all four corners and an 80 hp inline six. Been in family for 67 years... 53 of it on blocks in a barn.

dmkberger

Been kinda busy on other stuff, here's the latest on the build.
Finally got the floors finished!!!! I never thought that would end. Welding overhead is not for the faint of heart.
Moving on to filling the ripples and dents in the firewall has started, I'm on my second slathering of Bondo right now.
I secured a front frame clip and got the needed control arms and bolts!!!
Next is moving to the body mounts and squaring the body to the frame, should be in the next week or so.
I found some body supports from a '59 Ford and made the best of making them fit where the previous owner had cut them out...
Why on earth would someone cut out the cross brace that the seat bolts into AND the forward one that the body mounts use on both sides???
It is amazing what some "mechanics" will do given enough beer.

dmkberger

Here are a couple shots of the first and second slathering of Bondo on the firewall.
I eliminated all of the unnecessary holes for things that will no longer be needed such as the throttle linkage.
I also procured a '59 Ford park brake pedal, I've got that mocked up and bolted in for now.
Hopefully progress will be more steady and productive.

dmkberger

Here are the second slathering shots from today.    :006:

dmkberger

Here's the latest and greatest of the build so far.
I have been dreading the fuel door install since I got this car.
I took my time and did it by the book... Except the part where I blow up the gas tank while using my plasma cutter removing the metal where the fuel door goes... I had no idea that five year old gasoline could still be "explosive". The car won't run on it and it stinks to high heaven, so I paid no attention till the fumes ignited and it felt like I got hit in the gut with a sledge hammer.  I will NEVER make that mistake again, EVER!
So, after removing the old gasoline and taking the tank out, I got back to work and the results are pretty darn good if you ask me.
I have a lot of welding to finish and then the body work starts!
Sure wish I had a video of the explosion to play on here.
I've survived a plethora of things that should have killed me, this is the latest and it just proves that GOD has something for me to do before I die.

dmkberger

More pictures of the progress today.

gasman826

bet there's no dents in the tank anymore!!!!