News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Another wheel question...

Started by sprink88, 2018-01-14 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

I am going to pull the plug and get the willwood disc conversion.  I read a lot of posts, but no real answers about what wheel works best. 

I am looking at 15x6 or 15x7.  What is the perfect offset.  I have not even thought of tires yet so maybe something on that would help too. 

Also, reading these threads, a lot of guys are running a wider rear tire? Since I have to upgrade the front to 15", what set up works best for daily driving but a good stance look.

Full-size Fairlane is the car..

These are the wheels I am looking at.  Powdercoated black.  I am a black steel wheel kinda guy with the custom dog dishes on
~Chris

Marc

Marc

Obviously my link-posting skills are lacking.
Thread titled "Wheel size" under "general discussions".

lalessi1

This issue has been discussed quite a bit on the forum but I think I can summarize a bit. 15 x 7 wheels with 4.25" will work on all four corners. 235/70 tires will fit as well but removing and replacing them on the back is VERY tight with stock shocks. I know because ... this is what I am using, (Wheel Vintiques series 62). I have '56 shocks that let the axle drop farther for tire wheel changing clearance. Our cars need a lot of backspace on the rear wheels and not as much on the front. My tires are about 3/4" from the outer fender in the rear, 1/4" closer and they are on the verge of rubbing during cornering. There is at least an extra inch available on the inside so an 8 x 15 wheel with 5.25" would probably fit even with a 275/60 tire. I am considering doing this now. 5.25" back space will not fit the front with out a spacer.

As far as tire size a 235/70 tire is 28" tall, 275/60 is also roughly 28" tall as well. If you are looking for a forward rake a 205/60 tire is 24 5/8" tall.... giving you a rake of a little more than 1 1/2".

BTW my wheel are black powder coated with dog dish caps.... you have excellent taste!!! LOL!  :003:
Lynn

sprink88

Perfect.  Thanks! I will be ordering!
~Chris

silverbird#58

(  Took  drum sander to  1997 ford ranger  14" alloy wheel center hole .  made it  1/16 bigger for  my 1970 ltd spindles .   
            needle nose pliers  (carefully ) ; bent all the ford hub cap tabs inward and they  bite to the alloy wheel firm.   
                the wheel  is 1/3 the weight of the steel wheel.