News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Battery hold down bolts

Started by troublemaker427, 2018-01-15 09:28

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Wow, lots of nice information here. That hold down frame and battery trouble has been bothering me ever since I bought my first 57. Obviously back then I also got the wrong aftermarket thing and I have it in its package to this day, 20 years later... would the 27 style battery hold down frame be of the same design like a 29 style, only 1/2" wider ? Would be easy to widen a small one.
The concour part that Lynn posted is very reasonable, if not downright cheap.

SkylinerRon

I would think the 27 hold down is the basicly the same as the 29 only a 1/2" wider on the engine side, although I haven't had both
battery boxes next to each other to compare the details.

Don't think that i'll ever find a NOS 27 one and the originals are probably rusted to dust.  Couldn't believe it when I found the NOS
27 tray at a Mustang II vendor years ago.

Ron.

terry_208

I actually found a really nice battery box attached to the inner fender/splash apron I was purchasing for my car.  I paid $40 for the inner fender with the battery box.  A lucky find as I needed both.
Terry

lalessi1

I found my OEM 27 battery tray on eBay, it was a little rusty but not rusted through anywhere. Very happy with it. It is nice to me  to have original stuff that matches the rest of the car.
Lynn

Ecode70D

Quote from: terry_208 on 2018-01-22 12:05
I actually found a really nice battery box attached to the inner fender/splash apron I was purchasing for my car.  I paid $40 for the inner fender with the battery box.  A lucky find as I needed both.

WOW  Terry  That's like the carbon copy of how I accidentally found my rust free California  battery box.  Mine was still bolted to the rust free California inner fenders that I bought on the internet years ago.  At the time I really needed one too.     

terry_208

I get lucky once in a while.  Today I located a pristine hood w/i 40 minutes of my house.  All I have to do is give time for my fused back to heal.  Surgery was on the 17th., of January.
Terry

Ecode70D

Terry
      Right now you have to heal first.  You don't want be lifting anything.    Do  you have  someone that can get the hood for you?   If not can you somehow secure it so you can get it later?     

terry_208

I think I have a hold on it...I offered him almost double what he was asking.  I saw one advertised at quite some distance and calculated the purchase cost and the travel costs and made a little lower offer.  I believe I have someone who will pick it up for me.  I'll know this evening.

I am sorry for hijacking the thread!
Terry

gasman826

Universal battery holddown

SkylinerRon

That is truly dangerous on so many levels  LOL!

Ron.

Ecode70D

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2018-01-24 00:12
That is truly dangerous on so many levels  LOL!

Ron.

X2 what Ron says.   
   If that battery is under the front fender like I think I'm seeing it, how in the world do they get to it?   

gasman826

living on the edge!

Access by taking off the tire.   Several OEM applications have batteries buried with much less access.  This is a gel battery and needs no maintenance...easily disconnected, tested, or charged from under the hood and it doesn't vent.  One of my 'to dos' is to replace the tarp strap and put a booty on the cable.  Battery relocation to the fender behind the front tire is common in fat fender '30s and '40s customs.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: gasman826 on 2018-01-24 07:07
living on the edge!

Battery relocation to the fender behind the front tire is common in fat fender '30s and '40s customs.

Yup...been there on my 36 since 1980.  Never had a problem with the set up over the 136K miles, all kinds of weather, and all kinds of roads.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

SkylinerRon

Hate to see that strap break and the battery fall onto the tire.

Acid, sparks and heavy objects flying around scare me!

Water and dirt spraying on your connections isn't good also.

Goodluck,

Ron.