News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Picture of bracket needed

Started by Ecode70D, 2018-01-17 15:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

We desperately need some good pictures of the clutch equalizer inner bracket from a 57 Ford. It's the only part that we are missing. 
      We have the outer piece and all the other related pieces.
      It's the piece that is marked inner bracket on page 3 -4 of the 57 Ford shop manual. 
      See  picture.
       Thank you very much

JimNolan

That piece attaches to the motor. If you see the shiny knob between the bell housing and the #4 exhaust tube. That's it. The Y-block is about the same as the FE.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ecode70D

Jim
    Thank you for your picture.
     I have one like that one off of an FE but it is just not lining up correctly.  I need a good picture of one  that actually came off of a Y block from a 57 Ford so we know exactly what to look for.
Jay

thomasso

The Y block bracket hes pin and uses split bronze bushings.  Although the FE ball may be the same size?
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

lalessi1

Jay, I have a bracket that I believe is off of a Y block. I had to modify it to fit my FE. See if these help.
Lynn

troublemaker427

Is the clutch linkage/equalizer bar the same for both the 6 cylinder and V8 in 1957?
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
9:22@145
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

Ecode70D

Lynn
    That's exactly the one that I'm talking about.  Do you remember what you did to modify it to fit the FE?   My memory is getting fuzzy these days about how we modified them back in the old days to fit the FE and vise versa. 
     The application that we are doing is for a Y block. 
     Thank you very much for posting that picture.  It's a big help. 
Jay   

Ecode70D

troublemaker427
    From what I remember in the old days, the equalizer is the same on the 6 and the 8 cylinder. 
    I kinda remember that that inner bracket is different on the 6 cylinder, but I can be wrong. 
Jay     

lalessi1

Jay if you look at the picture there is a lipped hole in the bracket... that is where the pivot ball was pressed in originally. I pressed the pivot out, drilled a new hole 1" to the transmission side of the bracket and welded the pivot there. If you need dimensions or whatever let me know.
Lynn

Ecode70D

Guenter
    I don't need any of the bushings.   FWIW  the person that is selling those bushings only think that they are for a 57.   The 57 used two half moon concave bronze  bushings  on each end and later years they used a nylon type ball on each end.  I have some bushings in the shop and I'll take a picture and email it to you so you will know what you need when the time comes for you to switch something to standard shift. 

Lynn
     You solved the mystery.  When I saw the hole in your inner bracket, that is what I figured that you did to use it on the FE application.  The Y block inner bracket has it's own shape.  Now that we know exactly what it looks like, my friend will know exactly what to look for when he goes to RI to get one that should be from a 57.   

SkylinerRon

All 54-57 V-8's are the same bracket. (2.65" bolt hole center) Engine side.

Ron.

59meteor

Not sure when Ford switched from the split bronze bushings to the round plastic bushings, but I know for sure the bronze bushings were still used at least as late as 1959.
As for the equalizer bar(Z bar, cross shaft etc), according to my 59 Ford parts catalog, the 6 cylinder and Y block V8 had the same part number, the 332/352  FE used a different part number, I have both, and they are identical, except for the orientation of the pin in the lower lever, that the lower clutch rod pivots on. On the 6 cyl./Y block equalizer, the pin is pressed into the lever pointing towards the center of the car, the FE unit points to the left side of the frame. Easy to press out the pin and reverse it if you already have the "wrong" piece. A 57  has a solid rod from the clutch pedal to the Z bar, with adjustment made at the lower rod. 59s have a threaded upper rod, that fits into a pivoting clevis on the upper lever, for adjustment, and have a solid rod on the lower end. Not sure which style a 58 has.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ecode70D

59Meteor
     Thank you for clarifying some of the mysteries of the 57 59 equalizer (Z bar).  I'm thankful that Ford was pretty good about how those parts were made so they could be switched around.

Over the years I have usually favored  using the setup with 59 parts because I like the adjustable upper pedal to  equalizer rod.  It makes life a lot easier to adjust the clutch from up top rather than crawling  under the car to do a clutch adjustment .

It sounds like you have been playing with these cars for a long time also.  The internet is helpful however I miss the  old days when these parts were plentiful and we scrounged them up  in backyards and junkyards.           Jay 

troublemaker427

Thanks everyone for the z bar information.  That is one less part I will need for my 223 to Y block conversion.
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
9:22@145
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390