News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Picture of bracket needed

Started by Ecode70D, 2018-01-17 15:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: 59meteor on 2018-01-19 01:53
Not sure when Ford switched from the split bronze bushings to the round plastic bushings, but I know for sure the bronze bushings were still used at least as late as 1959.

No idea when they switched but my 60 2dr. Ranchwagon had the bronze bushings.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

troublemaker427

My '61 had plastic bushings.  They must have changed in 1961.
Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
9:22@145
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

gasman826

changed when they ran out

JimNolan

Let me add this just in case someone might want to use the information. I welded extra metal on the engine bracket I had and elongated the holes so I'd have an adjustment to let the bracket slide farther out for ease of installation. Also, the position of the ball was correct so I didn't change it's location. I also removed the clutch rod arm from the round body of the Z bar and positioned it closer to the engine and the pivot point farther forward of the original position. At the same time I extended the arm by adding 2" to it's length. That made it more horizontal to the clutch fork. I used a finger type clutch disk instead of the borg and beck style. The position of the clutch pedal was giving me fits keeping the same clutch adjustment and I removed the big spring on the clutch pedal arm inside the car. (be careful, it's dangerous when it comes loose). The spring connected to the clutch fork to frame was more than enough to return the clutch pedal.  My Z bar used the bronze bushings. All this I had to do to make an easy shifting, easily adjustable clutch for the TkO 600 transmission.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ecode70D

Jim
    It was always my understanding that the big spring inside was there to somehow assist in stepping on the clutch at some point.  You went through a lot of work to tune up that clutch linkage. I'm glad that it worked out for you with the TKO 600 transmission.   WOW!   Jay

JimNolan

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2018-01-19 19:13
Jim
    It was always my understanding that the big spring inside was there to somehow assist in stepping on the clutch at some point.  You went through a lot of work to tune up that clutch linkage. I'm glad that it worked out for you with the TKO 600 transmission.   WOW!   Jay
That spring worked well with a Borg and Beck but foot pressure on a newer finger style clutch is a lot less. I tried everything I could to keep that spring and when I realized that was what was giving me problems and I got rid of it, it was fully adjustable from the top or bottom adjustments. I needed my clutch release as close to the top of the pedal as I could get it because of drag racing too.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

djfordmanjack

Jay here is my Graffie ( Thats what we call junk in Austrian/Bavarian slang).
it came out ouf a 1953 Mercury that was equipped with a 1957 292 w/ manual trans. it looks as if some of the parts could actually be 1957 origin, but they sure did cobble it together. the bracket looks like it has a U joint cup welded in....

Yeah guys, I don't like the Ch*** orange paint either... :003:

Ecode70D

Guenter
    Those pieces are for a 54 - 56 Ford.  + Merc.
     If I'm wrong someone will chime in.

John
     Look at Guenter's orange inner bracket.   Now we know what fits the strange looking 54 bracket in the shop on the 239 engine.

Ecode70D

The inner bracket that we were looking for was found today in RI.
   My thanks to everyone that responded to the request of what it is supposed to look like.
   Our 57 Ford  site is the best site on the internet.     

djfordmanjack

Good to know that John now has the correct bracket.
Interesting info about the stuff I have. that 53 Merc came from Turkey and they had lots of American cars back in the day but were obviously short on spare parts. they used what they had, should have seen that poor Merc's front crossmember which was hacked for the Y block sump. It seems 54 Merc and Ford are somewhat odd design all around, they have many different parts that will not fit earlier or later. especially Y block parts. next time I visit my friend Reinhard in Vienna I will check his 54 Merc HT for the brackets and clutch equalizer assembly

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-01-21 04:40
Good to know that John now has the correct bracket.
Interesting info about the stuff I have. that 53 Merc came from Turkey and they had lots of American cars back in the day but were obviously short on spare parts. they used what they had, should have seen that poor Merc's front crossmember which was hacked for the Y block sump. It seems 54 Merc and Ford are somewhat odd design all around, they have many different parts that will not fit earlier or later. especially Y block parts. next time I visit my friend Reinhard in Vienna I will check his 54 Merc HT for the brackets and clutch equalizer assembly
Yes, 1954 Ford 239 and Merc 256 Y blocks had many one year parts that won't work with 55 and later Y's. Larger cam bearing journals, different dist drive gears, different timing cover and water pump just to name a few..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

What Jim said about the 54 engine is true.   There are all kinds of differences.  I would never try to rebuild one of them because those internal pieces  are for the most part unobtanium. The  nice thing is that the stuff on the back like the bell housing still fits the later engines. 

Looking at Guenter's clutch crossover reminded me that it was convenient of Ford to make it in the shape of a U.   Back in the day, that allowed us to put dual exhaust in the 54 -56 and snake a left engine pipe into it.  Haven't seen one of those in years.