News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Y Block oil pumps questions

Started by djfordmanjack, 2018-01-20 16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoosier Hurricane

OK guys, before all of you with low pressure at idle run out and put adjusting screws in your spring caps to increase pressure, remember this.  The adjustment will only affect the maximum pressure at probably 2500 rpm and up.  It will not affect idle pressure.  Can't expect miracles from this mod.

I wish I could take credit for this tip, but Jerry Christenson from MN came up with the idea, mentioned it in Y-Block Magazine.   John

hiball3985

Back in the days when life and cars were simpler we use to use small washers to shim the spring..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-01-23 07:08
Back in the days when life and cars were simpler we use to use small washers to shim the spring..

Or run 15-40, 20-50 oil.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2018-01-23 07:02
I wish I could take credit for this tip, but Jerry Christenson from MN came up with the idea, mentioned it in Y-Block Magazine.   John

Well John....I'm going to give you credit for it anyways.   You're the person that told  us about it.   Jay

djfordmanjack

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2018-01-23 07:02
adjustment will only affect the maximum pressure at probably 2500 rpm

I like that. 2.5k is approximately what the engine does when cruising at 65+mph for extended time. It might be really nice to have a few psi more with hot oil on the highway.

@ Jim...LOL....I could show you the stack of SS shims that I already prepared, just in case....haha.

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2018-01-23 14:07

@ Jim...LOL....I could show you the stack of SS shims that I already prepared, just in case....haha.
See how smart we are  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Swank

While we're talking about re-building oil pumps, i have these parts in my fel-pro full gasket kit.  For the rotory style pump, is this barrel with the metal parts supposed to take the place of the input? That would put the retaining screw directly against the metal ring on the barrel. The current input is a one piece very hard rubber part, no metal.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

djfordmanjack

I assume that the original rubber seal has just hardened over time. I have some here NOS and they are soft.
It seems the thick metal washer included in your kit goes on top of the seal and keeps the rubber from getting frayed by the retainer nut. possibly the metal parts in the seal help with sealing as they leave a smaller quench are for the rubber sealing to the intake tube.

Swank

Still off topic, ...but i got the rubber barrel with the metal rings in it.  I'll let you know if it sprays oil down the side of the engine.

-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

Hoosier Hurricane

Eugene, that seal will not spray oil down the side of the engine.  It is on the inlet side of the pump, therefore it sees a vacuum when the engine runs.  It will allow air to enter the pump if the seal is insufficient, and may drip when the engine is not running, but will not spray.

By the way, I got your letter yesterday.  Thank you.   John

Swank

Good to know on both accounts.  Much appreciated.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)