News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Petronix questions

Started by 05gt, 2018-01-21 19:51

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

Hello everyone, long time no see!  I've finally gotten around to having some time and funds for the Fairlane again and I had a few questions about a long overdue upgrade for me.

For those of you who switched to the petronix 2 Igniter, which model did you order. I have the 312 with the 3 speed fordomatic. Also, did you just wire the 2 leads from the unit directly to the coil, or did you have to run a direct line to the ignition? Last but least, I'd imagine she'd have to be re-timed,  or should she be good to go?

Thank you everyone in advance, and it's good to be back. You'll be seeing a lot more of me around here!

Mark

rmk57

I've used them a couple times on other Ford projects. Ford distributor caps were the same from 57 to 74, so Ignitor 91281 would be the one you want. I hooked mine straight up to the coil. Either cut the ends off the wires and crimp on your own ring connectors or use the adapters supplied.

Not sure if it's the same with the ignitor 2 as the the original ignitor but you have to get the correct coil. The ignitors are to be used with a  a low resistance coil so may want to inquire about that.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

05gt

I planned on getting a new coil while I was at it, so already have that covered. Was your timing still correct or was it out if wack after the install? Thanks for the info!

rmk57

You shouldn't have to touch your timing. The main thing is getting a coil with the correct resistance. There's a list of coil manufactures that are compatible with the Pertronix unit either online or in their instructions. I used an MSD blaster and it seemed to work fine and I see Pertronix has their own line of coils which will definitely be compatible.

Good luck
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

With the Pertronix II and matching coil you need 12V, that require eliminating the ballast resistor. You will then have three wire connected to the + side of the coil.
1. from ignition
2. from I on solenoid
3. from Pertronix unit ( red wire) black wire from Pertronix to - side..

I found after installation the timing was off a few degrees and had to be reset.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

05gt

Is the ballast resister close to the ignition under the dash?

I think I'm going to go with the epoxy flame thrower coil from pertronix.  I've heard quite a few people mention if you mount their oil filled one horizontal  that it'll burn out quicker.

gasman826

shouldn't need the 'I' wire

hiball3985

Quote from: gasman826 on 2018-01-23 08:50
shouldn't need the 'I' wire
I'm pretty sure you do. When the key is turned to the start position only the solenoid is activated and the normal ignition hot wire or anything else isn't activated.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: 05gt on 2018-01-23 07:56
Is the ballast resister close to the ignition under the dash?

I think I'm going to go with the epoxy flame thrower coil from pertronix.  I've heard quite a few people mention if you mount their oil filled one horizontal  that it'll burn out quicker.
The ballast resistor is mounted near the coil. The ignition wire goes to the ballast then a short wire to the coil.
I've heard of the problems with the oil filled and I may buy the epoxy one in the future. I have my oil filled mounted horizontally and so far almost 4 years and 8,000 miles and no problem yet.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

05gt

Thanks again for all of your input.  Now it's time to order some parts and get busy!