News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

LSX Swap???

Started by wilnutt, 2018-01-25 14:43

Previous topic - Next topic

wilnutt

If you're going to flame, just move on, please. Has anyone seen or heard of this being done on a 57 fairlane yet? I keep getting the itch to throw a turbo iron block 5.3 in mine... thinking 700hp and some suspension work can get me in the 10s in no time.

rmk57

Nope.               

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

GM engines belong in GM cars.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Any thing will fit in anything....just a matter of time and money!  Does that make it a good idea?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

jvo

Well, if you check out my Ranchero build thread, that is what I have installed in it.  Most everyone is going to hate me to the fourth degree of hell for doing it, but it just made good common sense to me to do it.  Cheap $325.00 for a complete runner.  Made my own motor mounts.  Used headers recommended by a friend of mine.  Type is in my build thread I think, and was super easy mods to make it fit.  Mind you, I also have a Jag front suspension on mine, so I'll be hated to the 7th degree of hell now also. 
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

SkylinerRon

How about a 57 chev front clip and some big mopar tailfins?

terry_208

I want a ford power plant in my ford but what anyone puts in their ford is up to them.  That being said, how much    motor/horsepower would it take to push one of our cars into the 10's.
Terry

rmk57

Mid-500's should get you into the high 10's if the car is setup properly.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

troublemaker427

Jody Aberts
Troublemaker 2
'66 427 Fairlane
9:22@145
'57 Custom Tudor 70A
'61 Fairlane 390-401
'64 Galaxie 500XL P-code
'66 F100 390

wilnutt

Quote from: jvo on 2018-01-28 20:21
Well, if you check out my Ranchero build thread, that is what I have installed in it.  Most everyone is going to hate me to the fourth degree of hell for doing it, but it just made good common sense to me to do it.  Cheap $325.00 for a complete runner.  Made my own motor mounts.  Used headers recommended by a friend of mine.  Type is in my build thread I think, and was super easy mods to make it fit.  Mind you, I also have a Jag front suspension on mine, so I'll be hated to the 7th degree of hell now also.

Thanks JVO, it's definitely a start. The cost to get a decent a 5.3, add a cam, and slap on a turbo, then back it with a built TH400... Is ridiculously cheaper. Why would I want to spend more money, just to keep it Blue Oval. Once the Y-block is out, it's not original. Then again, some of these guys adding aftermarket power disc, power steering, radial tires, and A/C... It's no different.

Most of the people who hate have a tendency to just pay someone else to throw in the stuff for them, because they're too scared or lack the skill to fabricate it themselves.

I'd rather have something that would make all the haters on this forum have to change their "maximum absorbency" Depends.  :002:

Wirenut

Please note, that was from Wilnutt.....Not Wirenut for any smites!!!!LOL :deadhorse:

RICH MUISE

I gave ya an applaud, Kerby (wirenut)!
Just my 2 cents, I'm not gonna weigh in on the Chevy engines in a Ford except to say that it is obvious that most of us Ford guys don't like the idea, so it should be a major consideration when you think about what it does to the value of your car when you eliminate 80% of the market .
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

Thanks Rich. I appreciate you!!! I thought you'd get a kick out of my clarification. I definitely like Ford in a Ford. I think Wilnutts stirring the pot to see what surfaces!

rmk57

I wonder what kind of warm reception I would get if I joined a chev tri-5 forum and asked how to go about installing a Coyote in my 57 150 sedan?

I'd be called a troll and banned within 5 minutes.........maybe less.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

wilnutt

Quote from: Wirenut on 2018-03-12 21:28
Thanks Rich. I appreciate you!!! I thought you'd get a kick out of my clarification. I definitely like Ford in a Ford. I think Wilnutts stirring the pot to see what surfaces!

I can assure you I'm not here to stir the pot. Look at my past posts and threads and you'll see I'm far from a troll. If I were to go over to the y-blocksforever forum and post about an engine swap on my '57, I could see it, as it contradicts their website/forum entirely. I posted in an "Engine swap" section of a 1957 Ford forum... Right? But, the fact is, only one or two people have given productive comments on the swap, when I politely asked for the flaming to cease even before it started. It was asked so someone actually curious about this type of swap wouldn't have to weed through posts from people who opened this thread knowing they were locked and loaded to put in non-useful commentary, just to make themselves feel important.

On a sidenote: I'm sorry our names are so similar and I hope you haven't being receiving any sort of flack for that.