News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Window channel rivets

Started by jdwilker, 2018-02-14 13:59

Previous topic - Next topic

jdwilker

As part of a interior re-do, I'm rebuilding the door mechanisms on my retractable. I purchased new window channels from Carpenter, but was left wondering what size rivets should I use to re-attach the channel to the mounting brackets. After drilling out the old (and loose) rivets from the old channel, I measured, examined, agonized and measured again and came up with a rivet size of 5/32" diameter by 1/4" long. So where to find a semi tubular rivet of that size - no problem right? Ya right, just try to find that. All the suppliers had rivets that were close, but not exactly the right size. I finally found what I was looking for on eBay from a seller in the UK.  I bought a bag and a H 3740 Sash Balance Rivet tool and went to work. The rivets fit perfectly and were set easily. The end result was a good tight fit with the rivet heads in the channel nearly flat so they wouldn't rub against the window edge (see photos).
There are more of these rivets available from that eBay seller if you're looking (eBay item # 263108540695).

cokefirst

1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

RICH MUISE

Yep, nice job. I'm curious what the riveting tool looks like.
On the Custom's channels, the vent window back seal is riveted to the channel as well. The seal kit comes with the rivets. I got my channels and vent window seal from Classic Auto Parts on okc, and I'm pretty sure they were the manufacturer (Dale's Manufacturing..........same owner), so my guess is the rivets could have been sourced from them. They can be set without a special rivet tool, I've got a post on those somewhere.
I'm guessing the channel you're showing must be the door latch side though, not the vent window side.
Basically, I clamped a 1/4 x 2 steel bar in a drill press vise to set the channel over and used a transfer punch in the drill press to set the rivets.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jdwilker

This is the tool I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232639089602?rmvSB=true

I also installed a new vent window back seal and used this tool on those rivets too. Those rivets are smaller, but were tougher to set. After setting, I used a 1/4" socket extension to flatten them a little more.

RICH MUISE

That tool is very close to what you get if you use a transfer punch. I just picked an odd size punch out of my set that wasn't likely to get used and ground some of the point off. The tips on a transfer punch are a little too long for those tiny vent window rivets. Thanks for sharing that, I had no idea a regular tool was available.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ray

Or you can be lazy like me and send the whole works to Jeff at Restoration Specialties. He's really good at it.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird