News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

PCV Valve Upgrade Issues

Started by chapingo17, 2019-11-05 20:26

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I recently upgrade my Y-block with a PCV system. I cancelled the draft tube (sealed with a metal plate) and drilled a small hole on the very back of the valve valley pan and installed the PCV Valve. The only problem I'm noticing is that I see traces of oil on the vacuum lines. At first, I wasn't to worry, but now I notice oil at the carburetor's air filter. Just wondering if anyone has experience this issue on Y-block. I attached the PCV valve just in front of the carburetor intake main-full fitting were the vacuum wiper motor would connect and the actuator for the heater connect.

gasman826

The Y-block OEM PCV valley trays had damper/deflector to shield the PCV from direct 'splashes' of oil getting sucked into the valve.  OEM valve covers have some type of shield so the PCV draws air without direct oil contact.  Aftermarket valve covers require some fabrication to make a dead air space to draw air for the PCV.

Ford Blue blood

I have used a stainless scrub pad stuffed inside the deflector in the valve cover to separate oil from fumes.  All late model engine use a similar setup to keep oil from being sucked out of the engine.  FEs had a basket in the rear of the intake, late 302s had a basket in the rear of the valley. 

That basket was the cause of oil leaks in those 302s (mid 80s - mid 90s), the crud would block off the flow of the fumes and cause positive pressure in the crank case.  Pull the basket, soak in cleaner, rinse, dry re-install and oil leak gone.....been there, done that with my 93 F150.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

The stock OEM valley cover for a 57 has NO baffling/shield for a PCV. Only Tbirds with rear road draft tubes and 61 and later engines had them in the valley cover for a PCV system. If you just drill into the stock cover there is no baffling to prevent oil from being sucked up.  When you say oil in the air filter I assume you have run a hose from the oil filler cap to the air cleaner housing? If oil is present there you either have too much blow by or the PCV isn't working correctly..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

chapingo17

Great information. Has anyone upgrade to a PCV Valve and eliminated draft tube on their OEM engine? Not sure how to do it the right way.

hiball3985

Both of my engines have been upgraded to a PC system using the 61-64 valley cover. Here is how the factory set up looks for 2V & 4V carbs. Mine isn't exact because I run mine into the Holley carb rather then the spacer plate.
I just wanted to ask that the PCV valve you are using is flowing in the right direction?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

chapingo17

Interesting, by watching a couple of images On-line I placed my pcv directly into the valve valley. I might try to move the pcv as showed in the picture provided. It makes sense to place the pcv by the intake manifold. If any oil wants to make it to the intake, it has a lot of area to drain any oil back.

hiball3985

That may help. I don't have the metal tube like shown in the diagram for the 4V, I just use vacuum hose but plan to make a tube in the future.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

That canister looking part that bolts to the back of the block (#6A665) is the baffle to separate the oil that is in mist form and return it to the valley.  Your PCV valve should be sourced from a similar sized and level of tune engine as yours is now.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Part (#6A665) may help but the actual baffling is on the underside of the valley cover and is filled with a mesh material.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

My E code valley pan had the T bird style breather pipe.  Found a PCV grommet to fit the hole and put the valve there, Don't know what the valve was from, had several NOS ones.  Teed the 3/8  hose to both carb. bases. Fabricated block off plate with a half inch nipple to route steel tubing to nipple welded in bottom of air cleaner for filtered air intake.  Plug holes in oil filler cap to get only filtered air to system. Works fine. No more oil stink or drips.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

djfordmanjack

this is how a factory 61-up valley cover looks inside. the PCV intake is under the square pan to the rear and has quite a huge shielding area (there is a small weld nut that you can see to the rear and it takes the long screw that goes through the little breather neck on the valley cover- as pictured in Jim's diagrams). you can also see, that to the front there is a huge divider panel, that separates the filler tube from the back of the valley chamber. I had to repair that so the little spot welded brackets are not og. It is some fun trivia that the pressing in that divider panel looks a lot like a 1932 Ford firewall stamping.  :001:

hiball3985

G beat me to posting a picture. So I'll just post the other side :003: Not mine but you can see where the cap installs.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Jim is there really steel wool or mesh inside that square PCV baffle pan ? there wasn't any in mine, but somebody possibly removed that ?

lalessi1

This is what is in an FE. I am almost positive there is supposed to be that type of mesh filter in a later Y-block.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FE-Ford-Intake-PCV-Oil-Separator-Mesh-For-Original-Ford-Basket/283614690784?hash=item4208c0bde0:g:h9sAAOSwflBbq-TI

Lynn