!!!! LIFE THREATENING REPRODUCTION/relined BRAKE LININGS/shoes !!!!

Started by djfordmanjack, 2020-08-17 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

!!!!!!!
Guys, DO NOT USE ANY of the advertised brake shoes, currently on the market, Only use riveted NOS linings or your trusty shop in town.
Luckily this happened at city speeds,  and nobody got hurt and nothing damaged. Imagine this happening at highway speeds or down a steep hill. The aftermarket industry is killing us !
I am sorry for these terribly frank words, but as you can see, only 10-20% of the linings have actual bonding. I am out of my mind !!!!

djfordmanjack

these reproduction /religned shoes have but 4 yrs and 2000 miles on them. car always parked sheltered.

rmk57

My father, who passed away a few years back well in his 80's told me 30-40 years ago to never buy bonded brake linings for that reason. We have an old school hole in the wall shop in town that will rebuild your brake shoes with rivets. They also do clutches.

Good to know there was no accident.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

You were lucky. Also, a good reason to change to discs.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

OH!  You wanted the Premium shoes with the rivets.  Premium grade shoes are riveted and standard grade...well aren't.  The same with disc brake pads.  Bonded should never be used on seasonal vehicles which are out of service for awhile.  Moisture can feed rust between the steel shoe and bonded lining.  Rust expands to pop the linings loose.

rmk57

I would just get new linings re-riveted of coarse and see if the shop can arc your new linings to your old drums. I find the old drum setup works pretty good if there adjusted once in awhile.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

John Palmer

I have been spending time lately rebuilding a early Bronco for my wife. 

In checking out the major early Bronco parts vendors I have noticed several specifically make note in their catalogs that their drum brake shoes are no longer bonded, and they now only sell the "original style" riveted shoes.   

I guess we now know why they might have dropped the bonded style.

Guenter, good that you caught it.  Check out your early VW's because the early VW parts vendors here (USA) sell the bonded shoes, or at least they did.

John

djfordmanjack

John, all my VWs have riveted linings. I usully do the riveting job myself using NOS linings. I also bought refurbished riveted shoes for the posi 8.8 in my 34 Ford. Somehow I slipped over the wagon brakes, because the PO had replaced the shoes in 2016 and I thought. well, all the others are using this stuff and maybe I am just too oldschool thinking. well now I know I am not and I see that you guys also have the same opinion on that topic! Better be safe than sorry!!!
Yes Gary, your scenario absolutely fits the picture. as you can see in my pics, rust crept under the linings to the point where maybe only 10% of the original bonding area was intact. I then took a chisel to the other pair of shoes and as you can see, even though it wasn't rusted, the lining also came off easily in big chunks, reveiling only a maybe 40% intact bonding area. They were obviously also poorly done.

CobraJoe

John & Guenther, I had the same problem with my 9" in my '96 Bronco; the linings came of three out of the 4 shoes after two years of very little usage (less than 2000 miles).
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Marc

1930artdeco

That is seriously messed up. Mind if I use this post on another forum that I am on? I have not heard of anything like this happening in the Model A world but that does not mean it hasn't.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

djfordmanjack

please post this on other forums as well, as it may save people from injury and cars/stuff getting damaged.
I believe this was a set of the typically cheap stuff advertised on e-gay or sold via Ro**auto or so. sorry for using these names, don't want to blame anybody, just a personal observation.

djfordmanjack

these are the rear brakes on my 57 9" rearend ( 1957 Country Sedan wagon).

djfordmanjack

This is how I rebuilt the ca 1975 8.8 posi in my 34 sdn. for me the only way to go now.

CobraJoe

I had to do some digging, but I found a picture of when I pulled my 9" apart, you can see where the pads delaminated from the shoes:

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane