News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wiper motor switch

Started by Ken 57Wagon, 2021-01-16 23:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken 57Wagon

I noticed in a parts magazine an electric motor switch out for the 57, anyone tried it?

Ford Blue blood

That must be for a truck of a Bird.  The "switch" for 57 and up to 60 passenger cars was a cable that turned on the vacuum or electric wiper motor by twisting a knob on the dash.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

If you are talking about a conversion from vacuum to electric a LOT of guys have done this. I used a kit from one of the typical suppliers Macs, Concours, or Dennis Carpenter... don't remember. Mine worked well. Not much to it IF your cable system is good.
Lynn

djfordmanjack

I have one in my Del Rio ( came from Cal in 2013). Unlike the orginal (which is cable operated as stated correctly above) this uses a 'conventional' electric switch in the dash. there is a special '57 look' knob that fastens via a grub screw. of course the electric wiper motor ( it is the cylindrical  'modern' type) is all electric as well. If you wanted to keep the cable operated oem Ford switch, you could use a 57 or so CH*** pssgr or up to 1959 Corv***e wiper motor. It is electric, bolt on and has the similar type cable operated switch on the unit.

KULTULZ

QuoteIf you wanted to keep the cable operated oem Ford switch, you could use a 57 or so CH*** pssgr or up to 1959 Corv***e wiper motor. It is electric, bolt on and has the similar type cable operated switch on the unit.

... hmmph ...

Did not know that. Thanx for that info.

Makes sense as FORD used DELCO wiper motors on their electric wiper option of the period.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

59meteor

Yes, I had a 56 or 57 Chevy electric wiper motor on my 57 Ford Sedan delivery back in the late 70s. It bolted directly to the plate on the firewall, the rectangular steel tab fit perfectly in the lever that turns the cable drum, and even to original wiper cable fit on as if it was made for it. All I had to do was run the single motor wire to a 12 volt .source. I just ran the wire to the positive side of the factory brake light switch. Looked more "period correct" than the Newport aftermarket motor that hangs down on the firewall.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rovohn

I have electric wiper motors on both of my '57s and bolt straight in using the Ford switch.
Although people call them Chevy motors I believe they are made by Trico
John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

gasman826

'57 Delco...much stronger than the aftermarket kits.  The '57 Ford OEM wiper knob has a set screw and will transfer to kits that include an electric switch.

hiball3985

I use the 57 Chevy motor also.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ken 57Wagon

Thank you all.  I?m baby stepping but learning lots.  Starting to like this Ford thing!!!

gasman826

I liked the vacuum wipers.  I liked the variable speed.  I would never changed but big cam killed the engine vacuum.   Now, auxiliary vacuum pumps would resolve the issue

thomasso

many diesels use auxillary electric vacuum pumps for power brakes.  Land rover is one and they are usually available reasonably on E bay.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

KULTULZ

Quote from: rovohn on 2021-01-17 11:27

Although people call them Chevy motors I believe they are made by Trico

TRICO supplied the vacuum pumps ... uh motors ...  and DELCO (GM) the electric motors. Electric wipers were an limited option on some FORD cars. CHEV used vacuum so electric must have been an option with them also.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

Don't forget vacuum wipers had a vacuum pump as part of the fuel pump (two stage) A two stage pump was an option so your car may not have one or if it has one might be defective.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

59meteor

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2021-01-18 05:22
TRICO supplied the vacuum pumps and DELCO (GM) the electric motors. Electric wipers were an limited option on some FORD cars. CHEV used vacuum also so electric must have been an option with them also.
Not certain about Lincolns or Mercurys, but I believe the first year electric wipers were available on a Ford was 1959. It seems most 59s, at least the more basic models had the vacuum wipers. I guess back then, the fear of the unknown "newfangled" technology, plus the outrageous $3.95 added cost for the electric wipers scared people away! My 59 came with vacuum wipers, with the dual chamber booster fuel pump, but I have aquired 2  1/2 of the factory electric motors. I find it odd at how much Ford revised the wiper mechanisms in 57,8, &9. 57 had the wiper motor under the hood, with the cable and pulley linkage, in 58, the wiper motor went under the dash, with linkage arms, and for 59, the wiper motor was back under the hood, with linkage arms.  Also, unlike 57 & 58, the 59 did not have a removable cowl between the hood & windshield.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.