News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 2Dr

Started by QwertyJuan, 2012-02-14 17:13

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Huh, wonder why I wanted the seller to deliver across the border.

Warning
Imported motor vehicles are subject to safety standards under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, revised under the Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act of 1988; to bumper standards under the Motor Vehicle Information and Cost Savings Act of 1972, which became effective in 1978; and to air pollution control standards under the Clean Air Act of 1968, as amended in 1977, and 1990.

If vehicles manufactured abroad conform to U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards, it is because these vehicles are exported for sale in the United States. Therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Be skeptical of claims by a foreign dealer or other seller that a vehicle meets these standards or can readily be brought into compliance. Vehicles entering the United States that do not conform with U.S. safety standards must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.

This pamphlet provides essential information for U.S. residents, military or civilian government employees, and foreign nationals who are importing a vehicle into the U.S. It includes U.S. Customs requirements and those of other agencies whose regulations we enforce. Since Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements are subject to change, we recommend that you contact these agencies before buying a vehicle abroad.

Our pages Know Before You Go and For International Visitors contain general information for persons entering the U.S. You may obtain copies from your nearest Customs office or by writing to:

U.S. Customs
P.O. Box 7407
Washington, D.C. 20044

It is also possible to obtain copies from American embassies and consulates abroad. ( Know Before You Go ) ( For International Visitors )

EPA has a detailed automotive fact manual describing emission requirements for imported vehicles. You may obtain a copy of this manual, called the Automotive Imports Facts Manual, or other information about importing motor vehicles by calling EPA?s Imports Hotline at (202) 564-9240. You may also communicate by fax at (202) 564-2057, or write to:

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Ariel Rios Building, Manufacturer Operations Division (6405-J)
Investigation/Import Section
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.

This reply limited to 20000 characters or this would be much longer

Lou

I being a Fairlane 500 I would assume it is a American built car. Also there is an age limit on the above rules.

Ford Blue blood

I just moved a 57 wagon from Vernon, B.C. with no problem.  The 57s are so old that none of the safety and EPA crap apply.  You will have a brocker's fee and a 1% fee for it to cross the boarder.  A butt load of paperwork and signatures required but that is it.  The seller must have his paperwork in order as well, customs will want to see that along withy the bill of sale.  Just remember it is for personal use, no for resale.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

I did read where pre '66 are exempt from emissions and safety issues.  But, USDA wants the bottom of the car steam cleaned!! 

Did you use a Broker to handle paper work.  Was your car picked up on the US side in a impound lot.  Or did you trailer it out of Canada and through customs without assistance?

Ford Blue blood

Did not have to steam clean.  The move was contracted with a company that responded to my google search for "auto transport from Canada to USA.  I feel confident that it was a broker as the enclosed van that delivered the car was a Reliable van.  All paperwork was to a San Deigo based outfit......and I just tossed all the paperwork as the deal is done and closed and old timers has struck so I am having trouble recalling the exact name, if I find my notes I can post very accurate info.  Car was picked up in Vernon, B.C. and moved to Blain, WA, from there on a truck with six others (I was #2 drop, rest to the east coast) with a heavy French accented driver that knew his way around this part of the USA.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

gasman826

So how's the new wagon??  I wondered if you drove all the way up there to pick it up. 

There is a reason there are brokers.  I was hoping to get some feedback from the seller.  The seller is local to the border crossing.  Have you ever noticed when traveling in Canada, Canadians in general seem to know the exchange rate and figure it in their heads.  Most seem to have knowledge of US Customs.  You go to McDonalds in Toronto and pay with US currency, they give correct change with the exchange rate.  Take Canadian currency to a Michigan McDonalds and they think you are giving them Monaplay money.  Just saying.

Ford Blue blood

The wagon is good.  No real bad suprises yet.  Have a few things to change and modify, (I'm very picky with respect to raod worthiness), body is as straight as an arrow, no sign it had ever been wrecked.  Still need to pull the brakes apart to check all that out, needs an exhaust system and an alignment, then I get to go and stand in line for hours to get the tag.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero