News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

new to this forum.would like to know if anyone has put a 4.6 dohc out of a 95 mark viii in a 57 ranchero.thanks

Frankenstein57

Awhile back a guy was doing that swap along with the front suspension and stuff, don't know how it turned out. I checked on wiring harness availabilty a year or so ago, they didn't offer one at that time.  Mark

canadian_ranchero

i used to work for ford fixing fuel injection.so wiring,fuel system will not be a issue.i was more looking for information on motor mounts and what exhaust manifolds may work.thanks

Ford Blue blood

The engine is slightly wider than an FE, just a half inch wider than the 460.  Problem could come up as that width is lower in the engine compartment.  Just have to try it. 

I will be putting a Mod motor in my Ranchero, about a year away from now, and will know exactly what has to be done.  I will try to take many pics along the way to document the install.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KULTULZ

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2009-01-28 23:32

i used to work for ford fixing fuel injection.so wiring,fuel system will not be a issue.i was more looking for information on motor mounts and what exhaust manifolds may work.

I have a friend doing one but he used an early LINC CONT (83) front clip (don't ask). The DOHC sat down on the CONT pads and he used later MUST DOHC factory shorties. Fits like a glove.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

canadian_ranchero

found a 1995 continental in a pick your part yard.has a 4.6 dohc,but is front wheel drive.it has a front sump oil pan and a smaller left hand exhaust manifold.just wanted to pass this info on.

Geofordman

As reported in various places on the web, The 4.6 rear sump pan hits the tubular crossmember. You need the pan mentioned in the above post by Canadian Ranchero. It is a front sump factory pan that will make the swap easier. You also the matching oil pick-up.

Zapato

Its a tight fit,you'll have interference problems with both the steering and upper a-arms. I have one just mocked up in my car looks killer but am rethinking project and thick either a 302 or 429 might be easier. Do a search for Gearheads out of the Dakotas they have the swap pretty well thought out.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Zapato

there is a pan and pickup in the for sale forum :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

cruzin71

you can use 1996 mustang motor mounts have to slot original pad a little bit. also you can use cobra shorty headers tight fit but clears. :burnout:

canadian_ranchero

cruzin71,does the car you are talking about use the stock steering box?

cruzin71

cruzin71

using a ABS567 power box tight but clears the head.

Hawkeye

Quote from: cruzin71 on 2009-11-10 21:03
you can use 1996 mustang motor mounts have to slot original pad a little bit. also you can use cobra shorty headers tight fit but clears. :burnout:
What brand of Headers did you use, as it appears that the RH would work, but the LH takes up much more space.

RICH MUISE

4.6 litre d.o.h.c./4R70W swap updates? I'm still hoping someone who has actually done this swap has some updated info for us. Seems like there's a few of us who would like as much info as posible. The only thing I know that I haven't seen on this website is that Ron Francis wiring now has an engine control harness specifically for the dohc from the mark Viii's. Ron francis also has available ford wiring connectors for those of us using later model ford steering columns (I'm using a '97 MUSTANG)I ran into a guy who has a shop in Kansas City specializing in these conversions. He had a 57 Bird at the colorado Goodguys show last year with a 4.6 dohc from an explorer. He also does engine control systems..I think he said around $850....which is about 1/2 of the Ron Francis setup.I have his contact info somewhere in my archives if anybody is interested. This is the second time i've seen the dohc in a 57 bird, It seems to me we must have alot more room to work with.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe