News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-02-28 21:46
4.6 litre d.o.h.c./4R70W swap updates? I'm still hoping someone who has actually done this swap has some updated info for us. Seems like there's a few of us who would like as much info as posible. The only thing I know that I haven't seen on this website is that Ron Francis wiring now has an engine control harness specifically for the dohc from the mark Viii's. Ron francis also has available ford wiring connectors for those of us using later model ford steering columns (I'm using a '97 MUSTANG)I ran into a guy who has a shop in Kansas City specializing in these conversions. He had a 57 Bird at the colorado Goodguys show last year with a 4.6 dohc from an explorer. He also does engine control systems..I think he said around $850....which is about 1/2 of the Ron Francis setup.I have his contact info somewhere in my archives if anybody is interested. This is the second time i've seen the dohc in a 57 bird, It seems to me we must have alot more room to work with.

I am in the process of doing this swap i.e. a 96 MK VIII DOHC with matching 4R70W into a 57 Squire Wagon (currently sporting a 428/C6). I have very professional help in the process or should I say the professional has my help.
To answer a few specific questions above...
1. Ron Francis aka Telorvek aka DetailZone http://www.thedetailzone.com/ seems to have the right stuff when it comes to wiring harnesses. Don't even think you can use the OEM harness unless you designed the harness while working at Lincoln. About the guy with the $850 Harness above... $850 is not half of $900 that DetailZone charges.
2. "...a lot of room to work with." Maybe not so much. I don't have the 4.6 installed yet but I can tell you the critical fitment problem is between the upper A-Arm perches (picture attached) and possibly the left exhaust vs. the steering box (I'm using a 58 box which has more clearance than the 57). You will not be able to use the stock Lincoln exhaust man., there is no way it will fit the left side. The only thing I can see that will fit is either the DOHC Cobra cast iron or the tubular version of it (Pictured). If you are thinking about shorties or something else; better get the engine installed before you invest. You are also going to need to fab motor mounts that allow the engine to sit low enough so the exhaust runs under the upper A-Arm perch. More on this as I progress. The DOHC's heads will fit in the gap between the MC and the heater fan housing IF YOU HAVE the under dash booster. Under hood booster, not so much.
3. Earlier in these threads someone asked about the rear-sump oil pan... You'll be yanking that off straight away. Start prowling the parts yards for a 95 - 02 Continental with the FWD DOHC. The engine is worthless as it cannot be fit to a RWD trans bit it has a front-sump oil pan. Grab that, the pickup tube, the dip-stick and tube. The 4.6 (of any variety) will not fit the 57 with out it. It is surprisingly easy to get it off. WHAT IS UNCLEAR at this point is how the dipstick is going to work in this conversion. In the Conti, the block boss is forward of the motor mount; with the MK VIII it is aft. I'll have to let you know what we work out.

So, moving along...
If you select a '96 or earlier Lincoln you won't have to deal with PATS and can at least get the thing running w/o having to reprogram the ECU (most guys want $4-500 on top of the harness price). If you select the '96 (as I did) you need to be aware that the VLCM and the IMRC's are unique to that year, are not made by Ford and are not reproduced by anyone; so start looking for spares of those items (and good luck with that). The 97 & 98 motors are nicer with COP design but again, you'll have to deal with PATS and figure out how to deal with the electronic throttle control (that thing that has Toyota all farked up).

Lokar has a shifter conversion for the 4R70W that works with column shifters; you need it.

You can use a conventional fan & Clutch vs. the electric fan. If you want the electric, the MK VIII is so superior that many Cobra owners are scrounging them up.

There are aftermarket cross members available for the trans but you should be able to weld something up much cheaper. You will need a shorter drive shaft.

This engine has pretty odd plumbing for the cooling system. Something will have to be modded no doubt.

Expect to hear from me from time to time with pictures of the progress. At this point we just have the engine on a stand getting ready to bolt on the necessary stuff.

Bob

canadian_ranchero

look at my other post,will answer some of you questions.

1957 Ranch Joe

If you Mustang the front suspension works great I did a 57 Ranch wagon with a 302FE still working on her plan to pull out and go drag racing

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-04-23 14:17
look at my other post,will answer some of you questions.

Actually, my burning question at present is...

What did you do about the dipstick? With the front sump pan on there the stick does not go into the sump.

canadian_ranchero

i am in the process of dealing with the dipstick issue.will post what i find out

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-04-25 13:45
i am in the process of dealing with the dipstick issue.will post what i find out

Super. I appreciate the help.

BTW...

Kar Kraft Engineering Incorporated (www.karkraft.com) supposedly had this figured out (...I assume, since they were selling a pan and dipstick kit for an outrageous $250). Alas, they have disappeared.

On a related matter... I was at the Fabulous Fords Forever Show at Knott's Berry Farm over the weekend and saw 2 Torinos with the DOHC conversion. I asked the guy if he had the front sump pan... "no, we welded on a 90's TBird front clip so the rear sump unit works". When I mentioned I was doing this conversion on a 57 and it would require a front sump he oopined that "it's just easier to weld on a new front clip".

Sometimes it pays to just shut up.

canadian_ranchero

torinos are unibody are fairly flat on the frame bottom were the front suspension goes on.57 fords are not and would require a lot of fabrication to make it fit.i looked into doing this and found the easiest would be a crown vic frame graft.witch would be a lot of work.so far the swap into stock chassis looks the best.

Ford Blue blood

I agree.  There are no insurmountable issues swapping into the 57 frame.  Never liked "clips" and don't do them.  Everything you have done to this point is hand tools and just requires scrounging the parts.  Fabrication tools and skills would make it even easier moving some of the obsticles you have run accross.  Keep us updated as you go please.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

I wouldn't stress to much on the dipstick issue, If you could locate your oil level with the stock parts, then fab a tube and stick into your chosen pan at that level. An hour or two on the engine stand and you will have it solved. Mark

canadian_ranchero

thanks for the support.i am trying to keep this as low buck as i can.i have the dip stick that came with the front sump pan.i was thinking of drilling a hole in the block at the correct angle and with a little epoxy put it in the stock front sump pan location

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-04-26 21:45
thanks for the support.i am trying to keep this as low buck as i can.i have the dip stick that came with the front sump pan.i was thinking of drilling a hole in the block at the correct angle and with a little epoxy put it in the stock front sump pan location

I was thinking more along the lines of threading the drilled hole and inserting a brass bushing to insert the tube into. The block is a bit thin in that area and I'm really REALLY tired of random oil leaks. Even this extent is way easier than welding on a clip.

Do you have any pictures of the motor mount setup? I know you used a 96 4.6 MStang but I'd like to see how it looks if you have one.

canadian_ranchero

here are some mount pictures the pass side is on the engine.the other ones are drivers side.they are off a 02 mustang gt 2cam

RICH MUISE

Canadian: Just my ignorance since I've never done an engine swap, but I know when instaling a carbureted engine, you have to be careful with the levelness of the intake manifold...I am guessing it is not as critical an issue with fuel injection? I'm going to the Pate swap meet this weekend and am going to try and find the exhaust headers. Do you know if other year cobras are identical to the 2001's that you used? I know other years were mentioned elsewhere,but don't know if they are as workable as the 01's you used. This has been a great article, and very popular...I noticed views are up over 1400 already! thanks again! One last question...what's your name?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

that is correct they are not as fussy as a carb.i try to keep the side to side level.front to back can be a few degrees off but not too much or you can have oiling issues.looked in my interchange manual,hollander says 99 and 01 cobra manifolds are the same

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-04-27 19:20
here are some mount pictures the pass side is on the engine.the other ones are drivers side.they are off a 02 mustang gt 2cam

Thank you my friend. Very helpful. When these are bolted to the engine are the frame mount studs at the correct, or at least a close angle with respect to the frame perches?